1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500Gp bike questions

Discussion in 'General' started by LBSAXMAN, May 7, 2015.

1. LBSAXMAN

LBSAXMAN Member

i have an opportunity to buy a CRF450 chassis modified to hold a CR500 motor basically a 450gp with a CR500 motor . Can I get an honest opinion on if this bike would be competitive in any class , half the guys i mention it to think it would be awesome and the other half think its crazy . I think the bike will end up about 260lbs . If you gear it tall enough to go 150 Mph would that settle it down a bunch ? Wouldnt it be alot more fun then a 450gp ?

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It's been tried before. If I remember correctly, it's a neat idea but in actual practice it will vibrate itself to death.

3. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

This

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

It's been discussed several times here before; do a search. Not sure how many people have actually done it though.
    Ten or more years ago there was a guy that raced with the CMRA on a CR500 (stock frame). He was very competitive but I don't know what class he ran or what maintenance issues he faced.

5. sdg

sdg *

Have you ever ridden one? They have A LOT of vibration.

They are fun though. I love it when the 450 guys tell me they've got the biggest baddest most horsepower-est dirt bike ever. Helllo, 1986. :D

6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If you want to perpetuate carpal tunnel issues or aspire to have them in the future, this would be the perfect bike.

7. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

Rubber mount the motor :)

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

For some reason I wanna say that the KX500 was the preferred bike to start with. I think it may have been a transmission issue.

Ive never heard of one that didn't have significant, unresolvable issues.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never seen any of them get ridden for more than a few races.

10. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

It may only last a few races, but it could a lot fun for those few races!

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I purchased a Hawk rolling chassis modified to accept a CR500.
    Another project waiting. For now, the rolling chassis looks good in the loft.

12. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

much more valuable as a MX bike. Shop here in Ohio specializes in putting older smokers in new aluminum frames. They fetch a pretty penny.
    http://www.mps500af.com/

13. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

There was a guy racing with motorises on a CR500, not sure what class he ran but it never broke down.

14. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Tuna built a 500 smoker a few years ago. Not sure what happened to it.

15. yamahogg500

yamahogg500 Well-Known Member

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Quadzilla 500 motor is the only way to go on this kinda project.

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Except the trans in those are made of warmed up butter

I used to do several of those a year until parts started drying up. I believe the cases were never off backorder.

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

How about a big bore Banshee motor?

19. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I have tuna's KX500 I put it in a GS500 chassie. I holed a piston the first weekend out and haven't gotten it back out yet. Lance

20. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

don't sweat it. I have a 98 cr250 with a 500 motor in it built myself. pm me or just call, I know how to stop the vibrations. and yeah Lindsey ran a 500 in cmra and I have the frame hanging on a wall.

Steven Isenhower #52 2001 V6
    281 536 3330