Just sold my TL

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Too much bike. :D

2. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

you cannot resist!!!!

3. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

I sold mine when I moved, last year. Still kicking myself in the dick for doing so.

[​IMG]

4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Back in 99 it was between the TLR and the 955i for me. Still have the Daytona. Still want a TLR...LOL. Just wish someone had a solution for the size of that seat hump!!!!!
    Cheers, Lee S.

5. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Sub frame swap.... Everything has been done, rs250 tail, gsxr tail sections... Pick one, and install.

6. 2vornot2v

2vornot2v Well-Known Member

Mine blue 99 in the works. 07 gsxr750 front end with 08 1k rear wheel and a shit load of other small and big mods. The red 97 is a daily ride with LSL bar kit.

There's lot better out there in out right performance (obviously) but there's just something magical about these things.

Attached Files:

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Please don't take any offense in this, TL aficionados... but for the love of god, I just don't get what you find so attractive about these bikes. I sat on one, and that was enough for me to stay far far away.

Hawk518 likes this.
  8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I say the same thing about skinny 2 stroke bikes>>>the freekn noise gives me nose bleed....:crackup:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

33" seat height, or so the specs claimed. More like 36".

Britt, did someone slip you drugs or steal you sign in? I'd think you of all people would love the sweet sweet sound of gawd's greatest invention, the stink wheel!?!? :D

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'd rather listen to Dreb's chainsaw run...the only 2Smoker that was even entertaining was the TZ750 in DT trim... (exception GP bikes)....:D

11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

How heavy is the TL? It looks heavy. And unless it is fairly light (lighter than an RC51 at least) I'm trying to understand what the big deal is. I would think an RC would make a much better race bike.
    I like twins and it is an interesting looking bike but I'm failing to understand what all the excitement is about exactly.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Burn the witch! Throw some VP/747 on him and burn 'im!!!! :D

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

More than a GSX-R, Less than a 'Busa.... And still less than a RC51.. Then subtract for Ti system and a Proper Penske/LE ur down to fun.. :)

It's just a fun bike... And now that I finally have my own I am happy wallowing around on it...plus it sounds really good on the N. Ga. Twisties.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Bring it... I am Nomex..:)

15. 2vornot2v

For me the TLS is just a fun bike with a captivating character. It makes a great street bike and a fun track day bike but personally I wouldn't race one.
    You got to throw away the rear rotary shock and rework the front.

There's few options for shock conversions but things are getting scarce. When the suspension is done they handle pretty decent, but a great race bike, in my opinion, no! It's all about the character really and you need to ride one to either love it or hate it.

For racing I think the RC would be a better bike but you got to throw a lot of money at it to work well and yes I think they are bit heavier. Back when few of my buddies had them and after few long rides I never develop a desire to buy one.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The King of TL's
    [​IMG]

17. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

It would be nice if Lindemann engineering would go back to making limited runs of the rear suspension links.... There was a post over on TLplanet that penske won't sell the Lindemann spec shocks to anyone except them. The bikes are definitely completely different bikes with the penske installed.

As for the fuss about the TL, there is just something weird/special about it. Fun to ride. Hell, even Mladin was on facebook not long ago talking about how much he liked the ride he got on it back in 98.

18. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Just slap in a F3 shock. I just did that mod rather than try and service the rotary damper.

19. 2vornot2v

Yea that was Jim's baby and LE's got the wrights to it even now that he's gone. It was back in 99 that I discovered LE through buying Jims conversion for my 97 TLS. That, and his magic in the front fork rework got him doing all my stuff right to about a year before he died.
    Since than It's been magic Mike lol. (Thermosman).

I'm talking with Penske right now in building a direct single unit eliminating the dual system completely. I want some ride height adjustment so I need at least 285mm. Looks like it shouldn't be a problem still without interfering with anything but have to go through mock-up to make sure.

Mikey I see you're over on the Planet. I'll keep things posted up there if you're interested in the outcome. It'll be a few months for sure before it all comes together.

20. SV88

SV88 CCS 88

Isn't the SV1000 a bit improvement on the TL? I have an 03 on the street. Yosh pipe, lowered pegs, gp shift. It's got close to 50k on it and I ride it when its dry leaving. Love the big twin power, had it @ the track a couple of times but its a pig compared to my R6.