1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm buying a boat...

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 26, 2015.

1. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

What lake you gonna be putting in at? Need some gas money? :D

2. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

The one I'm looking at has wood in it.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

fify

get them to cover the drive too. Alpha's are cheap, but it's still $1k to replace it.
    Make sure it's had a new impeller this spring.

the wood isn't a deal breaker as long as the boats been taken care of. It'll require extra care from you and 12 screaming kids. Make sure to dry it out when you put it away. Will it be stored covered or uncovered, in or out of a building?

4. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

The plan is it will be stored in my garage. I'm throwing shit away, hanging bikes on the wall, donating stuff, etc... to make room.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

wood - no wood doesn't matter for as long as you will own it. Warranty on the engines is worthless.. it's the drives and manifolds that fail and cost big bucks. Getting an outside inspection?

Do a sea trial with as many people in the boat as you will normally have. you'll be shocked the difference in performance between 2 and 4 people in a boat that size. Last thing you want to find out the day after you buy it is that it won't even pull a tube with 4 or 5 people in it.

go troll the chapparel forum aor any small boat forum.. we probably won't see you here for at least a month or 2

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

it'll be able to stay mostly dry. With wood thats a good thing.
    Watch for water coming in around the drive. Some boat builders don't coat the wood in the transom when they do the drive cut out. This and the thru bolts whick should be caulked. Can cause the transom to rot if it's wood cored.

Call Chaparral with the HIN and they'll tell you how it was built.

7. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

This

8. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

I second this. We are a small family of 4 (kids under 4) that had a 2002 Bayliner 175. Bought it for $1K, put in a new interior, and profited $4K when I sold it last summer. Taking it for a test run with one other person in the boat was definitely enjoyable. Once loaded down with a cooler and crap for 4 of us, still fun but not as much. Once adding another relative, I couldn't pull a tube/slalom ski for crap.

Sold the boat and bought a Super Air Nautique 220. Seats 12 and can pull about 4 skiers at a time. Just don't tell my wife how much it cost. :D

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only true for the Dumbasses that buy shit boats and never use them.....

I have had the same boat for 25 Years.... Its never been back to the dealer... But then again I do everything on it.... It was nice as hell out yesterday... Water feels great too....

[​IMG]

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Boat= Bust Out Another Thousand.

Take the local boating course put on by the Coast Guard, carry the proper safety equipment and get a really big fire extinguisher. Fires on boats are bad news! Have fun and remember what you see above the water does not resemble what is actually below the water. A little bobbing stick can be a submerged tree just waiting to rip your outdrive off.

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

EXACTLY the first thing I thought when I saw the title. You beat me to it because I was gonna post the same pic hahahahaha Love that vid

I'm on a boat mother fucker don't you ever forget!!!

12. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest you have the boat inspected for water damage to the beams and fiberglass, this is a must for any older boat, hell even a newer one, it's a must do. IF the hull is compromised the boat is worthless.

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I bought my first boat last summer. A 2012 Chaparral 246SSI. I know it's a little different category but I have been happy with the build quality and support from Chaparral. It takes about the same effort to own as my toy hauler. Meaning there is always some little thing that needs attention but it isn't overwhelming or terribly expensive. We've really enjoyed it so far.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

May be the best advice for first time owners before they buy.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I know some people.:D

16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

17. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

Oh I miss the good old days of watching people launch a boat, It's actually pretty entertaining with a few beers.

18. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

If it flies, floats, or fucks rent it don't buy it

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Funny you say that.... I saw a guy screaming at the ramp when we were pulling out.... His buddy damn near sank his new Rang Reover.... He pulled out and water was pouring out of the rear doors...LOL

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

My first rule of boat buying is always to have a friend with a boat instead.

Ain't nobody got time for all that cleaning and sitting around. :D