1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on ATL (possibly moving there)

Discussion in 'General' started by shakenbake, Apr 2, 2015.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep... And they are all from the North!

2. sowega

sowega #710

If you clowns would keep your minivans and Excursions OTP, traffic would be glorious.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I live here. That should be enough to keep you away. :D

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

South side!!!!

Just gotta watch out for deer, turkey, coyotes, etc. It sucks being 30 minutes from Hartsfield yet being in the country.

Oh, and the beavers will mess up yer swampland if yer not careful. But you can trap 'em.

5. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

I would have a somewhat flexible schedule. Most times I would need to be there in the AM or evening on any given day. But, I would only prob need to be there 2 or 3 days a week.

BTW what does OTP mean?

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Outside the Perimeter. That refers to being outside the giant circle that is I-285.

7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Hell, i live just 35 miles east of downtown atl (Conyers), 4 sided brick, 6 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 4400 sq. ft., sitting on 1.44 acres, and my house just appraised at $217K (the market STILL sucks around here, i paid $235K for this place almost 20 years ago.

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

In 83 I bought an old fixer upper ranch in Acworth Ga for just $28k. Nothing special of course. .5 acre. 1200sq ft. Separate garage. Gravel drive. Then the spawl came. Sold it at the peak in 07 for $145k.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Listen to what this man says.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

drove me out:moon:

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Can I come live with you?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! I had to look where he was since to me tri-state is OH/KY/IN and where the OP is moving from - a 4500sf house is nowhere near a million in that tri-state :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Outside the perimeter - think inside or outside of 275 in Cincy.

285 is smaller in diameter than 275 so it's closer to downtown. ATL also isn't a spread out as Cincy for businesses, add that to a shitload more people in the metro area and traffic is way worse. For example - I've headed to Shannons and hit 75/275 on the south side at 5pm. Added maybe 10-15 to my normal trip time over to Milford. In ATL that time of day would add a minimum 60 minutes, more likely 90 to go that kind of distance. If you can time it against rush hour though commutes are easy. Or if you can leave an hour before most people. Just depends. Your best bet would be to live somewhere near Elmer if working at PDK if you can afford it, maybe get the kids to share rooms :D

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I think it's been mostly covered but there are some nice areas that are close to PDK. Look around at some neighborhoods that would be closer to 285 as you head north of there. chamblee has some good areas.

the further outside 285 you go the longer your commute. exponentially. we live about a mile outside 285 (dunwoody area) and find that I rarely hit any traffic when I used to travel a lot for work. my wife works downtown and usually has a pretty easy commute (20-30 minutes). She flies out of PDK occasionally for work and it only takes her 10-15 minutes to get there or so. but if you lived on the other side of dunwoody, I bet even just that couple of extra miles would add 15-30 minutes to your commute. :)

the other option is to live downtown and reverse commute. no problems in the mornings, but these days there's a lot of traffic going into downtown in the evenings. We lived off Piedmont park (piedmont and 12th) for a few years. Loved living in town, but when we had kids we moved back to the burbs. At the time I was working in Rome so I had a bit of a commute, but rode my bike most days when I had to go to the office vs the airport.

15. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

If I didn't already live here, I wouldn't move here.

OTP sucks, ITP sucks more.

16. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

17. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I am a native and have to say I still love it here. If you can live close to work that makes all the difference in the world. I wish most of people that moved here and complain about the area would move back to where they came from.

18. sowega

sowega #710

Amen.

19. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Sure has changed since I moved there in 64. Was pretty much all natives.. Now its 60-70% northerners coming down for the job ops. And better weather, no doubt.

20. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

I work from home 2 days a week and out of the office the other three and it's 6 miles one way. On a bad day my commute takes 15 minutes. If it were just me living here it'd be so much better. I wish everyone that moved here would move back to where they came from and take the people that were born here with them. :D