1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on ATL (possibly moving there)

Discussion in 'General' started by shakenbake, Apr 2, 2015.

1. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

Looking at possibly relocating to the ATL area.
    I would be working at the PDK airport, but am willing to cummute a reasonable distance.

Where are the areas to look at living? Looking for good schools, nice neighborhoods or rural areas and all the other info that would be good to know.

Some people have mentioned Cumming and Canton, but I know nothing about them.

Thanks in advance

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

i have nothing good to say about atlanta after living there for 5 years but there have been a couple recent threads about moving to ATL if you do a search.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

We are full. The place sucks.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I hope you like traffic... no matter which side you live on, no matter where you live, no matter what time of day, no matter where you go. :)

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

^^Truth^^

6. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Cumming for sure!

The rest of Atlanta is debatable.

7. shakenbake

I did a search, the most reason thread was from 2012.

Yeah, i know traffic blows.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

PDK area is a bit weird. Upper middle neighborhoods with little mexico and hood rat shit sprinkled in or vice versa? Just depends if you take a wrong turn or not. Weird.

Traffic in that area is shit all day long.

9. shakenbake

I know the area around PDK and ATL AND BROWN COUNTY Airports. I have no desire to be anywhere near them. The one guy I know at PDK lives in Cumming.
    If that's a good or bad area, I don't know.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No it sucks...

May I suggest some where in Florida.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

I work in Cumming. It's a nice suburban area, a bit farther north of ATL then some so cost of living is probably cheaper as far as housing, etc. but it's not east bumblefuck.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

What kind of house price are you looking for? I live two miles from PDK. My neighborhood's schools are considered poor, even though they have some of the best test scores in the area, are high performing etc. The population base is is 80% to 90% apartment residents. Houses in the area are $200K to $300K on our side. Cross Buford Highway to Brookhaven, and the schools are better and the houses are double to triple the price.

What are you looking for in housing? Big yards, space, subdivisions? I like the area a lot - lots of surface streets that give easy access to the rest of the city, decent tax bills, lot of good restaurants in the area.

Another upside to this side of town is access to highways. PDK is just off I-85, and 400 is a couple miles away.

13. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Sandy Springs and Brookhaven wouldn't be too far away and are nice.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Dunwoody, Briarcliff, Emory, Druid Hills.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

If you want a tour guide to give you a quick runaround the next time you are here, let me know. There are a lot of things going on in local politics that make some areas less interesting than they first appear.

16. delekus

delekus Well-Known Member

I know you said you dont mind commuting but let me tell you. The traffic SUCKS. Especially in the area your talking about.

I have a small shop literally right next to PDK and I live less than 10 miles away in Dunwoody. There are times it will take forever just to go those 10 miles.

At one point we lived near Canton and my wife commuted to Atlanta. Would take her two hours to get home at times even though its a 40 min drive with normal traffic.

My advice would be not to commute from canton or cumming to PDK unless you really like long frustrating commutes.

Areas you might can look in that may not be quite as far are Dunwoody, Brookhaven, and Sandy Springs(little farther out). I dont know much about the druid hills or emory areas. There is also norcross a little north but i never liked that area much

17. shakenbake

So, I'm getting this vibe that traffic sucks.

I'll be looking for a 5 bedrrom house, in a nice neighborhood/subdivision or in a rural area.

Ya'll are making it sound like anywhere around ATL is F'ed and maybe I should give this second thoughts

I guess the real question is....How much money would you want to move to ATL area

18. shakenbake

How are the schools in these areas?

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Cumming to PDK Plan on at least an Hour to hour and a half commute during rush hour.... Its about 40 Miles or so.... but you would take 141 not 400 which can be a good thing.... If you move here let us know.... Plenty to do... Lake is here...And many many tracks close as you know....:up:

20. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Mostly, this.

A friend of mine lives right at 285 / 85 junction, off Buford Hwy. Its OK, multicultural, but it is close to PDK. Probably 20 minutes in mediocore traffic. Numerous bikes in his garage, but never had a theft. He's careful tho.

Dunwoody area is going to be costly for 5 br's.....Buford hwy, probably 60% of Dunwoody cost.

I work in Marietta, and live west of there, in a mostly rural area. It takes me 25 minutes to drive 12 miles to work. I avoid going inside the perimeter (IPT) asmuch as possible.

On the other hand, my wife commutes downtown everyday...to Williams st. Not much more downtown than that. She leaves at 6am, and gets off before 4pm...takes her 1 hour avg.

Stagger that 1 hour later, and double the time.

I'm still in Cobb, but near the Paulding county line.