1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leather care

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

What products do you guys use?

Any advice from the pros (Bill, ALexa)?

I am assuming I need a restorer, a cleaner, a conditioner and a water repellent?

It is for an old car that i am restoring...the seats are horrible!

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You got eighty billion dollars. Buy some new seats. Jesus.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Glad to see you back. I have a detailed that does all mine and my friends classic cars.

He massages that shit too. Works wonders.

I'll get some infoz

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

If he can got those restored, the car is worth more. Unless he can find NOS seats.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

the fuck you been

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

which i could find some

8. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dang, that bad? So, what'd ya get? How's the second kid?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Clean the crap off of them before but lexol is the deal-e-oh-oh-oh-face.

12. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It rubs the Lexol on the seats or it gets the hose...

Sorry, couldnt help that...

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Lexol...protected my leather seats during an honest-to-God tornado 1 mile away raining sheets storm. With my sunroof open. Overnight. In a hotel parking lot. Thought the whole interior would be ruined. Soaked up and dryed like new with a few more treatments of Lexol.

Learned about the product about 15 years ago from old Porsche restoration guy.

14. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Lexol is the bomb for regular cleaning and maintenance, but the Leatherique stuff is probably the way to go for a full-on restoration case.

15. I have some early 70s Recaro Sport seats that Zymol sorted out. I'm really happy with it.

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Use that shit they used on Gas Monkey Garage. Elephant snot or something like that.. BTW.. Welcome back, hope you and the family are well

17. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Sheik is back! Good to see you again!

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

This is where knowing leather fetishists helps :D

The following care advice comes from several of my boot black friends:

If it's oil-tanned leather (like work boots), then I use Huberds Shoe Grease Use a mild soap and water on a rag to wash the boots, let dry, then apply Huberds according to the directions on the can.

If it's finished leather (racing leathers, jackets, belts, upholstery, etc.), then Lexol is a good regular use product. There is a cleaner (orange bottle) and a Conditioner (brown bottle) Follow the directions and you should be fine.

For dry cracking leathers, a bit of Pecard Leather Dressing will help. Pecard's is a penetrating product, so will add moisture deep into the skin. Pecards can make a piece of leather as soft as a baby's a**. However, I would be careful about using it on racing or protective leathers, as it tends to generally soften the leather, and I don't know what that will do to it's protective quality.

For leathers you sweat in, you want to remove the salts that dry on the leather (from your sweat). These can weaken and discolor the leather over time, and can also significantly weaken the stitching that holds the garment together.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

+1 Been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner since my rodeo days in the `60's.