2008 R6 Clutch Switch Removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MotoCilino, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

I'm in the middle of trying to get an '08 R6 track / race ready and have a question about removing the stock left handlebar controls and clutch switch.

After a couple of hours digging around the interwebs, it sounds like removing the clutch switch (because racebike, of course) might have some unanticipated ill-effects. So far, I haven't found much on the subject other than:

-removing / disconnecting the clutch switch restricts the bike to being started when put in neutral only (not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned)

-it may affect engine braking (via YCC-I / YCC-T, if the switch is a required input)

-local shop suggested that it might not be possible to rev then engine out above 10,000 rpm if the switch is removed.

-removing the clutch switch on a GSXR 600 will put the bike in limp mode; (maybe something similar happens with the R6?)

Any help with this would be very much appreciated; I'm just trying to get a definitive answer, but at this point I'm inclined to just leave the freakin' thing on!

Thanks,

Paul

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

After trashing a brand new R6 clutch perch recently - If you do decide to drop the switch, use a JIS screwdriver and put some serious heat into that screw before trying to undo it. It's a cheap screw cast out of crap pot metal and the blue thread-lock they put on from the factory puts up one hell of a fight.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Separate the clutch switch from the harness. Those two wires are the only two you need from that plug. You can get rid of everything else, but leave the clutch switch operational.

4. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Do as Metric says. But to answer your other questions.
    -Yes
    -Yes, can also cause stalling and/or high idle issues.
    -No
    -Not on the R6

5. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

Thanks for the help; much appreciated.

6. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

7. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

I was wondering about that, actually. I used a push-button toggle switch to replace the stock key switch on a CBR a few years ago and was planning on doing something similar until I saw the woodcraft thing. Any tradeoffs one way or the other?

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The way they have the Woodcraft harness wired, you would not be able to enter the DIAG mode and clear/check codes.

9. MotoCilino

MotoCilino Member

^ I believe I read that in another thread somewhere as well.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yeah I busted mine doing this.:down::rolleyes: The only issue I really see is if you are on the grid and stall you will have to find neutral before restarting.