1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Comments???

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Mar 4, 2015.

1. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've researched that thoroughly, so I won't bother questioning your conclusion. But, I don't see that. Sure, it goes pretty deep in N.C. green industries, but that's a tiny fraction of small business.

But then again, what is a Republican or a Republican small business owner? Perhaps there is a great difference today between a conservative small business owner and a Republican small business owner?

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. Most of the construction industry in TX is run by white "conservative" people and there are alot of their workers that are not able to communicate in english. Supposed conservatives make shitloads of money off of the cheaper illegal labor. Thats why I said large segment instead of Democrat.

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

GOP inaction on this issue has frustrated me for years. Why do they cry out in righteous indignation when Obama leads with a plan when they've passed up so many opportunities to take action with various majorities? My conclusion is that they want amnesty but don't want to alienate their lunatic fringe that thinks we can, and should, go door-to-door deporting illegals.

I was a "send'em back to Mexico" guy for a long time. Then I saw a governor from the southwest say something to the effect that "sending'em home will collapse the economy. Small business's reliant on a blue collar workforce in this state makes thier margins using illegal labor." I remember being dumbstruck that the governor would admit he knew he had illegal workers and was more-or-less advocating to keep them.

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian presidential candidate in 2008 and 2012, summarized his plan and it started to make some sense to me. The economy has absorbed illegal alien contributions to both the workforce and consumerism for so long that the economy is reliant. A principled stand is past being practical. I don't like it but that's the reality IMO. Inaction from the Federal level has narrowed our options to amnesty and I don't think that's an accident.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

This^... In my industry, I don't see any shops hiring undocumented workers, however I do hear plenty of shop owners not happy about how the Rinos are running things..and plenty pissed about AHCA effects on their business, and costs to their employees.

As well as the Medical Device Tax, it killed a ton of machine shops work flow, they couldn't afford to keep up with the paperwork it required.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. Joe Morris

Aren't you purposely narrowing your view though? You are very skilled. Quality and complexity raise your rates (I assume). That's not the same business model for construction, landscaping, working in the poultry plants, etc. Here is a interesting demographic presentation.
    For sure the squeeze is on the small businesses that play by the rules. I don't see any politicians representing those businesses.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Slave owners also said the economy would collapse and were correct. The issue is not dollars but law and order. Either we have laws or it is do whatever is profitable. The fact that decades of abuse has made the fix more damaging in the short run is not a reason to abandon rule of law IMO.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What I do not understand is how anyone can say that illegal immigration is "needed" for menial labor when there is a large segment of the population that is unemployed. Of course this would require some intestinal fortitude and the willingness to let people get hungry enough that they did get off their ass and work. Oh ya, and the backbone to shoot the people who try to steal their way to prosperity. The bleeding hearts would never let this happen though. The cries of "but the children" would be deafening.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it was "Purposely", I would instead say, it is as I am seeing it where I am and how others I deal with see it...

I am not looking Globally on purpose..yes., My world is small.:up:

I do however see what you are saying, and agree to a large part...dislike it as I may.

(See all those "I's"...notice it isn't "WE".)

9. Joe Morris

Britt, you know more about running a business than I ever will. You know more about alot of things that I do. That's why I value your opinion. :beer:

crash, I'm mixed on the issues you raise. It sure would seem like there are more jobs than people. But I've seen entire industries disappear (textiles and furniture) in my area that have created a glut of workers that will out number the jobs for a generation (or two). The jobs exist somewhere but I'm not hard hearted enough to make someone thumb it to where that job is. Yet. I'm getting meaner every year.

sheep, the rules are being applied rigidly to white collar workers. The government absolutely steps up in that instance. I believe the going rate is a decade and $18k for a green card right now. If you forget to dot an "i" or cross a "t" it will most certainly be more. Why hasn't this level of scrutiny been applied to blue collar labor between Reagan's amnesty and Obama's amnesty? I say collusion.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The government and others love to blame the problem on employers, but they know the illegals are here and working and allow it.
    That puts pressure on business to hire illegals in order to compete.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This "lunatic fringe" that the republicans are so concerned about is exactly what's driving away all of the other normal voters who would actually win major elections for them.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I try not to be a complete cold hearted bastard but I look at where coddling people has gotten us and to me we are moving in the wrong direction. Instead of prosperity and work ethic we are creating a generation of people that believe they are entitled to all of the luxuries that people who work for a living have. Hell, I was told that I had to move or else look for another job so we sacked up our shit and moved. If there is no work where a person lives but there is work elsewhere I can not imagine not going where the work is. Feeding people who are unwilling to do what it takes and move to the work to feed their family should not fall on to the shoulders of those of us with jobs. I owe them nothing. OK, I guess I am a cold hearted bastard...:D

Not sure on the cost as getting a green card was part of my deal when I moved but it was 8 years for us. I think India has an extremely long wait period as well. I know it depends on what country you are from and what category you apply in as well. Guys with my background that I work with from Nigeria were under a year but it is based on yearly quotas. Lots of Indians and Canadians trying to get in but fewer Nigerians so their line moves faster. But ya, far more scrutiny applied to those who are trying to enter the country legally.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Actually the rules on white collar workers are also abused but 'legally'. There are many cases of labor being imported because it was not available when that person was replacing someone. (Sorry I cannot remember the program name as I am sick as a goat).

Though for sure it has occurred the most in entry jobs and those of lower skills. This punishes the bottom incomes of Americans the most. It also takes away key stepping stones of progress for young people. It is only good for the upper classes.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's the way it worked before the welfare state. People didn't stay where there were no jobs, at least the people who had gumption.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Back in the 1980's, at the time of my arrival here, all that I heard was how we were taking people's job. This is barely mentioned in today's language when discussing immigration.

I don't believe that I have ever taken anyone's job. If anything, most of my assignments have been because someone else was not willing to step up. This is still the case today.

The availability of government sudsidies and assistance makes fighting for available jobs a distraction for enjoying life, for some. Maybe, a number bigger than it should be.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That is how I ended in the Frozen North.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Ya, that no work, no food is an excellent motivator!:D

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You and me both. I always hear the "wish I had your job" bullshit when all they would have had to do is work for it.

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You see a lot of people move across the country for jobs up here. The running joke is that there is no one living in Calgary that was born in Calgary. To play Devils advocate a little, if amnesty came through and many illegals became legal, wouldn't thier tax revenue be a good thing. At least then they are paying their sare so to speak.

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Yes, but the value of access to benefits for that taxpayer and his/her family will far outstrip any positive tax paid in. I dont see a person with say a family of four who makes $25K per year is paying their share. They have access to a number of tax breaks and social programs that will pay out considerably more than any amount they pay in taxes. We already have many people who fit that mold. Now we just got a bunch more so we can continue to have cheap yard mowing and clean hotel rooms.