1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on a Multistrada 1000DS

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Don't post a ton, but you guys never disappoint when it comes to "schooling"...

2004 model specifically (20k miles) - what can you guys tell me? Pretty reliable? What to look for?

Run far far away? Any knowledge would be great :clap:

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bulletproof motor

Make sure services have Been done. Especially belts.

Comfy bike, Really Good to wheelie.

Kind of love it or hate it styling.

Rides like a big
    Comfy dirt bike.

Should be able to get it on the cheap due to most people thinking it's ugly.

Easy to hop up.

Don't know if the passengers get baked or not with that exhaust.

Had one for a demo and rode it 99% by myself.

Throw some good tires on it and shred:)

3. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Thanks. Yea, I see the love or hate styling, but I'm one that thinks they look awesome...

The one I'm looking at is at the local Ducati dealer, so should be able to determine prior services. What about service intervals?

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Had one. Staintune Exhaust rocks for it. Can run the open clutch cover too.

Windscreen was always an issue for me. A minimal screen provided the least helmet noise but stuck my head out there. Never did like the bigger touring screens, they just seemed to create a lot of turbulence right at helmet level.

The stock headlight didn't provide enough light for my taste. I added fork mount PIAA driving lights which helped and upgraded to a HID main light.

Fun bike. Make sure you get the red key with the black keys.

5. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

This is the specific one. Looks like an aftermarket seat and exhaust. Maybe Staintune? I'm really digging it. Have a friend that works at this dealer and thinking about checking deeper into it...

Anyone want a TL1000R? :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

That looks like the Stainune exhaust. It should have a removable baffle in each pipe. Baffles in, neighbors won't hate you. Baffles out -- Harley guys will sulk in envy.

Looks like an aftermarket seat as well.

7. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Those 2v motors are great. They sound fantastic with aftermarket exhaust and an open clutch cover.

Since that is an older 1000 (vs. 1100) and not an "S" model, you should be able to pick it up pretty reasonably ($5-6k, assuming average mileage).

I've got the newer MTS1200, and it is a fantastic bike. But, I miss the sound of the 2v bikes that make them feel like true 'motor' bikes. Ideally, I'd like to sell the 1200 and pick up a 2v Ducati (Monster or older Multi) and a track bike. So, you might not want to wait too long on this or I might just swing over and snatch it out from under you! ;)

8. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Hey, I seen it first! :D

I guess my main concern is reliability. I've never had a Ducati and, really, always said I never would because I figured i'd be left stranded more than making it home...

So, this one has 20k miles. If it's been serviced recently, what kind of longevity can I expect and how often would it need valves/belts checked?

I don't care for the idea of working on my bike more than riding, so that's my main hesitation...

9. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

This is my third Ducati. I had no problems with my '99 900SS. I had some minor problems with my '03 999. So far, no problems with my MTS1200. So, my Ducati's have all been pretty reliable. I think the bad reputation is left over from the 80's and 90's.

That Multi should go strong for as long as you want it to. You should have the belts replaced every couple of years or 6k-10k miles. You should have the valves checked at about the same interval, but after 20k miles I'd say they probably won't need much adjustment.

10. 178SV

178SV now retired...

2004 is the model year that had valve guide material issues. Caused the bike to stall at idle. They had to be replaced. Also had front end chatter issues. I'd look into it.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

nothing to add here, but I would just get a Grom :D

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

There's a red 04 on the ADV Rider classifieds with 16 K miles (serviced at 13.5K) for $4800.

13. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Here ya go, Desmo! I decided to pass on it. Just not 100% sure I'm ready to let go of my TLR right now.

They have it on consignment for what seems to be a pretty good price based on what you said and what RD400 said one was listed for on ADV rider... It also already has Staintune exhaust and Corbin seat..

http://www.pandorasmotorsports.com/product-p/c1000.htm

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a deal on that DS. I never liked the look but for some reason in black it actually looks pretty good. I'm with Desmo...I've got a 2V Monster and it feels like a "real" bike to me.

I might be on the lookout for one a DS in black;)

15. 178SV

178SV now retired...

I guess no one is listening. My biggest motorcycle regret was my 2004 Multistrada DS. Valve guides and front end chatter.

16. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

front end chatter is easily solved - front brakes are too strong for chassis/geometry. Do not use HH pads... make sure suspension is set up properly for your weight, and a valve upgrade wouldn't hurt. Valve guides are a real problem for sure, but not on every bike. if they do have the issue, it usually materializes before 20k. If not, it's a bit pricey to fix but you only do it once. Send the heads to Sebastian at Melillimoto or I'm sure KWS can do it too. other than that, OK bike. I dig that motor - it's sweet!

17. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

'05 saw some improvements. Don't know if they addressed those specific issues, or not.
    '07-'09 got the 1100 motor.

I've done a lot of reading on the MTS1000 on the big Ducati forum, but haven't read many complaints of those issues. It seems the biggest complaint was the swelling fuel tank.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Caswell the tank. I did my S4RS tank a couple of years ago and no swelling on it yet.

Edit. I did Caswell the replacement tank.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  19. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Ive got a buddy who has the 1100 version - he really likes it.After the first couple of thousand miles his fuel mileage dropped, turned out his belts had stretched, R/R the belts and the mileage went back up immediately.Thats the only issue he has had other than a tank replacement -:beer: