1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at "sports" cars

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

most require a roll bar for a convertible.
    BMW being the oddball at purely NO!

most of the exocet stuff is starting to be allowed.
    My formula car is a STRICT NO WAY IN HELL GET THAT OUT OF HERE
    though I have found one group that will let me bring it.

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

An Acura NSX can be had for that price.

3. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Cars are unavoidable here because its snowy 6 months of the year, and because sometimes I have to wear a tie to work. I have an STi. Bought it new, super bang for the buck. It's got a top, a heater, a rear defroster, a stereo, a trunk, easy to get in and out, AWD, chugs to work just fine. You wouldn't look out of place taking your kids to school in it. Its civilized. And turn off the traction control, and turn up the boost, and it has 305 hp and AWD, real fun stuff. What's not to like?

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

First one I pulled up. Lots of options with small-block Chevy motors.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's not an Evo :D

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Turbo or Super BRZ. Thank me later :)

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Find a used 2006 or newer Z06. Hands down the best performing car in that price range.

8. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Werd! :D

I miss my Evo X.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Good to know . Afaik, the 1st gen water cooled were said to be bulletproof, but I didn't wanna open that can of worms back then!

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Get a used viper.

They pop up on ebay in the low 30's, sometimes even high 20's.

They are a track car. Not something you want to spend 4 hrs in on a sunday.

11. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

just perusing the ebay and you can find what look like decent E92 M3s in the mid 30s, and E46s are in the 25-35 range. Didn't realize the last model (e92) went down that much in price.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I don't think 5 series are exactly trackday weapons, but BMW's do make great cars for driving slow during the week and fast on the weekend. Here's an interesting article suggesting considering the 535i over the M5:
    http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/10-reasons-the-e60-535i-is-better-than-the-m5-1608323644

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't own either the M5 or 996 without an extended warranty. If you want some funny stories about Carmax warranty claims, see Doug Demuro's stuff on Jalopnik.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'll throw something out there for us. Get a LIGHT car. I'm fucking sick of 4000lb, 500hp monsters with foot wide tires destroying every track we ride/race on. When your car is so heavy and has so much grip that it wrinkles the damn pavement under braking, it's too much.

15. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

This. I built a client car with a Honda Blackbird motor that was a hoot. Sequential shift, Akropovic pipe. Lots of fun

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A 135i wouldn't suck.

17. smrrc

smrrc Well-Known Member

I know someone mentioned the Polaris but What about a T-Rex? Rode in one down in Florida and it had "bike like" acceleration, handled pretty damn good, on the street anyway and was supper simple to work on. Technically it is still a bike too

Attached Files:

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

EVO X was a blast, on and off track. HKS exhaust (cat delete) uprated sway bars, adjusted camber, CAI & IC. So nimble, and loved mashing it in 3rd gear.
    Clutch master cyl failed twice, in 25K miles.

2016 STi concept looks awesome.

I'm "dreaming" of putting a Livernois Ecoboost 2.0L in the MG Midget.

19. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Light cars are also more fun and cheaper to run (tires, gas, brakes, etc)

20. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member