1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at "sports" cars

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Feb 6, 2015.

1. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

So I have the bug for something fast again. Wife is trying to get me to swear off motorcycles and thinks a "sports" car might feed the need.
    1. What defines a sports car
    2. How much car can you get for 30-35k
    3. I want to do a couple of track days with whatever I get.
    4. I still think a bike is better choice for my plans. Occasional street use and 4-5 track days per year.
    So far I have driven an 08 M5, a 2000 911/996, 2014 STI and regular WRX.

BMW engine is pretty stout, Porsche is interesting but needs the turbo, and WRX is impressive, and STI well how so they get that much out a car for 35k price tag!

The only one so far that I made be just go dam I want this was the STI. Sadly, they all made me miss a sport bike.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Looks like you answered your own question.

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

He knows. I believe that what he is really asking for is advise on "how do I tell my wife?":D

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can get a lot for $30K ~ $35K. Miata, BRZ, GTI. . . you don't need to spend a ton to get a lot of fun.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Evo X, e46 m3

to me no car can replace the feeling of being on two wheels

7. SamS

SamS Well-Known Member

The Ford Focus RS looks like it will be a strong competitor for the STi, but it's not available yet.

8. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

:stupid::stupid:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

notice whats hanging out behind the formula car,
    I just cant bring myself to let it go, Trackdays on a bike are still just a different animal that is not simply replaced.

9. casjoker

LOL, wife is already on board which is scary. Wondering if maybe there are some other options. Lexus, Infiniti. I think I might pull the bait and switch, tell there isn't anything we can afford and get a R6. Seems to be plenty of those around for 5-6k. That STI does stir the soul some.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would say it would depend on the tracks you plan on going to.... Go test drive a Mini Cooper S.... You will be surprised... Subaru is a good one as well... Any F Body car will handle like Ass on tight tracks... But places like Road Atlanta ect their a hoot...

11. The closest to sport bike feeling I get is with a Honda S2000. Light, nimble, fast, revs high, and open cockpit.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Higher mileage 911 turbo is the best car you get for $35k

13. casjoker

Yeah the new Ford sounds interesting. WRX and STI will smoke a miata and other three letter options from my research. Need to be able smoke ricky the teen racers at the stop lights! ;-)

Thanks for the links. A sales person at the Subaru place mentioned the EVOx too. I will have to look into that.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is the last year for the Evo X which is sad, but by third gear you'll lose your license. It's easy to get power out of it. Bolt-ons will yield almost 350 to the wheels..so almost or over 400 hp from the engine.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How much is a used Atom?

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Or a shifter cart?

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah but stupid expensive now if you can find one that hasn't been R-typed.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't count out an LS converted RX-7

19. casjoker

s2000 was first on my list until I started looking. Like Dave said top $ for anything "adult" owned with reasonable miles.
    Anyone ever do a car track day. Only one I have seen was the Porsche school at Birmingham and that wasn't really a track day.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah