1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knee surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by flygirl, Jan 20, 2015.

1. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Im having knee surgery in a couple days. I have a torn meniscus. anyone else on here been through this? Im wondering how painful it is so I can be prepared and how long it took you to recover. The doc says everyone is different. My goal is to be back on my bike by march. wish me luck

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

arthoscopic surgery?

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Not that big of a deal typically. Arthroscopic I presume, you should back in a few weeks max often less. I knew a QB in college that played a game within 4 days after the surgery.

4. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Guess its all determined by how badly its torn - I got scoped in September and raced 4 weeks later -I had a slight tear that was a secondary repair to a lateral patella release so mine was too bad.PT sucked for the first week ,but ,it wasnt too bad afterwards.MY knee feels better now that it has in years. Good luck :beer:

5. flygirl

I believe so . she told me yesterday they would be cutting a portion off one or both sides. paperwork just says surgery on left knee. but yea Im pretty sure they told me it will be done through a scope..Im so nervous. Maybe more so because Im not even home in Atlanta.

6. flygirl

that is so awesome! 4 days?? that is what I want to hear :)

7. flygirl

Thank you for responding. You guys are helping me to relax and breath a little. These are the responses I was hoping to hear.

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I got to stay awake for my arthoscopic surgery if that would relieve any of your anxiety. I enjoyed seeing the damage from the inside. I got to ask questions and he actually took me for a little tour of all my knee damage (MCL tear, patella tear, broken knee cap x2, loss of cartlidge). I think it helped me during rehab because I had a better idea what was soreness from the healing and was was soreness from lack of use.

I set my bicycle up on my trainer indoors and was on it on Day 2. I got my stitches out on Day 5 or so and started logging hour long rides by Day 7. By the time spring came I was in the best shape I'd been in for years.

9. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Take a Sharpie and write....WRONG LEG on your right leg....just in case.:D

I had one done about 25 years ago and was skiing in 8 weeks.

Good luck!

10. James_56

James_56 Well-Known Member

Nothing to worry about! I had the same thing done last February so almost a year. The doc had me believing I'd be on crutches for weeks and it would be a good 6-8 weeks before getting rid of them.

I had them with me when I went in for surgery, walked out of the hospital 4 hours later and never used them once :clap:

Climbing stairs at home was one at a time for a couple of weeks until the swelling went down but SOOOO much better now that it's repaired.

11. flygirl

wow watched it? :wow: I wont get to do that because they already told me I was going "nighty night"

with my luck the past couple yrs the sharpie might actually be a good idea LOL

12. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

The doctor and everyone else in the OR will get a kick out of it.:crackup:

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Had 'scope surgery on my knee a week and a half ago. Was walking on it the same day, although it was somewhat painful to do so. The next day I was fine, no pain but it just felt weak. Had the surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on the following Monday. Due to have the stitches out tomorrow.

Been to physio a couple of times and have more lined up along with exercises they gave me to do at home and it's getting better each day. The biggest problem I have is it was around 3 months between tearing it and having surgery so the lack of movement I had during that time has become somewhat "fixed" until I can work it out.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Everyone is different....6 to 8 weeks is the norm.
    PS...don't do it until you absolutely have to. I was all prepared and held off for a second opinion...I'm glad I did as 3 weeks later I started feeling better. That was 2 years ago and other than a slight twinge I'm 100% (100% of an old man but still 100%:))

15. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Me too, it was pretty cool watching what the Doc was doing. Unfortunately my surgery didn't really fix the problem. I was able to recover pretty quickly though.

16. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

Had a torn miniscus repaired on December 5, was back at work the next day.A friend had his done 3 days prior and hes not completely healed yet. He had miniscus repaired and some work done on the knee cap, hes also 10 years older than me. I guess it all depends how deep the tare is, mine was towards the outer edge.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I have had 4 surgeries on my right knee, the first being in 1973. Back then I had a torn meniscus removed...2 6" incisions and flat on my back for a week. 2 years ago I had a total knee replacement and walked out of the hospital the next day unassisted. Shows how much procedures have advanced over the years.
    BTW I was awake for all the surgeries, including the TKR.
    Good luck.

18. flygirl

Ive had the shots and been dealing with it for a while now and with my job being so physical I cant be impaired like that

didnt fix the problem? was there more complications other than the tear ?

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I was walking the next day, pain free.

The knee was week, and there was pain when I tried to squat, other than that and the swelling I was fine. It took about 6 weeks for that pain to go away during squats and about 4 days for the swelling to go away. Post surgery they injected my knee with a local that wore off about 6 hours later. I wasn't in pain however, I couldn't put any weight on my knee, it was the feeling of muscle failure and required me to use the crutches. I woke up a little after midnight and walked to the bathroom unaided.

The key (at least what my Ortho told me) was to get moving as soon as possible. If you stay stagnant the scar tissue will build up and you will be in more pain down the road. I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon and the Doc told me to walk Universal Studios Saturday morning. Since this was in August and the compression bandage could not be removed until Monday I walked the local mall, gotta love the AC.

20. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I was walking the same day, pain free.

Doc had me back two days later, I handed him the crutches, he had me do leg lifts and flex the joint full-range. Then he shrugged, and sent me on my way - no issues.

That was in 2003.

BTW, I STILL haven't found the apex to that corner.