1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Park City, UT possible ski trip....... need advice

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 29, 2014.

1. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Also if you didn't know this already check southwest wanna get away flights they are cheap. Additionally it might be a coincidence but when I check flights on tuesday nights past 10 pm they tend to be cheaper. It's probably in my head and a coincidence but its worth a shot considering it is Tuesday today.

2. MRA828

MRA828 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Skip all the Summit County Areas (Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper) and Vail/BC. They're all within easy day trip distance from the Denver metro area and get over-skiied. Weekend lift lines are enourmous. In general, they suck.

I live here and I rarely day trip to one of these areas b/c the crowds and conditions are so bad.

Aspen/Snowmass is awesome. 4 mountains on 1 ticket - Aspen Mtn is quirky (it is cool to ski right down to town), Aspen Highlands has some of the best expert terrain in CO, Buttermilk is... well, I've never been - but I've heard the corduroy is and terrain parks are good (family friendly), Snowmass has a lot of variety (also family friendly). Snowmass alone is a better overall mtn than anything in CO (IMO of course). Crowds are minimal - worst I've seen is ~15-20m wait on a popular lift on a sunny Sunday between 10:30 and 1:00 when the Bogner ski suit crowd comes out. Typically no lines...

Steamboat is also a good, family friendly area - but very limited in terrain (nothing much steep, but fun trees) and the mountain is smaller that just Snowmass. Great town though - best ski town in CO.

g

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

we fly free on SW, thats why we are looking at CO:D

4. surfingsk8r

That's awesome.

5. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Do they still allow lawn bowling in the aisle, or let your dachshund roam around the cabin looking for treats?

* nostalgic sigh *

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My favorite ski area in Colorado: Ski Cooper.

No, I didn't mis-type Copper... I broke my face at Copper Mountain layin' her down to keep from crashing... :D

I meant Cooper. No flash... no poseurs... you can show up in your frickin Walls or Carhartts & no-one will look at you funny. Trivia fact: The 10th Mountain Division trained there before deploying to Europe in WW2.

If you want a fun slope without all the bull$#!+... Ski Cooper's where it's at.

7. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

We will be making our 3rd trip to Park City in Feb. We stay in PC, but ski at the other resorts. I found a condo on VRBO that is on the PCMR slopes and only 2 blocks from main street for bars, shopping and restaurants. We pay about 2k for the week with 2 bed/ 2 bath with a nice kitchen and living area. Old Town South is where you want to be for convenience like this.

We visit the other non-PC resorts, but always have PCMR to fall back on if there is a storm or we just want a lazy day.

BTW....visit Snowbasin!

Also, we did Colorado before Utah and haven't been back to Colorado since. Oh, and the longest lift line I have witnessed in Utah is about 5 min.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. surfingsk8r

Matt if your going to be in park city between the 7th and the 14th we should grab a beer I figure I owe you one for all of the help with my bike setup a while back.

9. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Actually, that is the week I'm going!