1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the truck needs shocks

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott Swensgard, Dec 23, 2014.

1. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Paid a shop. I replaced the steering rack and the control arms, and upgraded the bushings on the lca's to the prg set. I had no desire to try to remove the control arms, and from the sounds of what the mechanic went through it was a good decision :D I ordered the control arm bushings and struts from this place. http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/titan-5100-kit/. I had them installed on the top setting, so more preload. Some guys say it's too harsh, but I think it's just about perfect. I have a bit of coil bucket contact, I should have bought the prg upper control arms too. Everyone on titantalk says you won't need them. Go figure.

I think you can find the bilsteins a little cheaper else where, I just didn't want the hassle of having numerous packages sent up to canada. I was already placing an order with prg so I just went with them.

I have nearly 200k miles on my work truck and it drives better now than it did when I got it in 09.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Thanks for the input people. I'm outta here before this morfs into a synthetic vs. petroleum based oil thread. Prior owner did the v code spring swap. Bilstiens it is..

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I pulled the Bilstein 5100s off my truck earlier this year and put on adjustable Kings. Until you use real shocks, Bilsteins are "good enough" for most. I won't be using them again. But there is a slight price differential.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"Kings" ? :confused:

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i put bilsteins on my tundra, after two years of the stock "TRD bilsteins". the real bilsteins are so much better than the OEM bilsteins.

i work about three blocks from the bilstein factory, so i took a little tour over there and they have some stuff comparable quality to King but there is a significant price difference.

7. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

yeah, maybe its just me but even the "OEM replacement" series on the King website looks like ALOT more shock then I could ever use in my application lol

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

9. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

Bilstein Heavy duty's

10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have them turned up all the way hard.. the truck is all but undriveable on the soft setting

11. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with KYB's on my truck. I've had zero luck with the Monroe ones on my old truck though. I think I went through 3 sets that didn't last 15 miles from autozone before I gave up and got KYB ones. The truck did have a 460 so the shocks where dealing with some forceful bouncing though.

12. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

Bilstein 5100's on my 08 Titan, they have been on about 5 years. I used to tow an 18' toy hauler, a couple of different sized enclosed trailers and now a bass boat. The truck still rides nice.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  13. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Bilstein hands down.

14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Yep. I was gonna buy from eshocks, but oddly enough autozone was the same price. Had to order them though.

15. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

THIS !!! The other brands just didn't work very well on the truck.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Wow. It must be the off-season or the warm winter, but this is the first time I can recall the same answer by a majority of Beeb.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Moton. There.

Actually I need to get shocks for the Suburban.

Do you need to do alignment after shock replacement or is it just a straight part swap?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Straight swap on everything I've owned. I do align them after any sort of lifting but that is spring related.

19. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

I had to align mine, but the bilsteins gave me 2.5in of lift in the front on the top perch.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You got 2.5 lift out of just shocks? Something seems really wrong there.