1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Thanks JBraun

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Thanks, I think this one just went to the top of my list. It's the best looking so far and seems to have everything I would want:

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...-Carbon-Fiber-Dial-Watch/7951633/product.html

Anyone have Luminox experience/opinions? Are these durable? Dependable?

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I suggest searching watchuseek forums. Luminox has a spotty quality record, but you know how things go. Complaints are always heard but praise beyond an initial review is harder to find.

Being a Quartz the movement should be relatively bulletproof. The pictures make the brushed steel look dark, which can cause scratches to easily show if that's the case.

For military tactical watches, make sure to check out Marathon and CWC in this price range.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

JBraun: I'm a little late, but that's an awesome thing to do. Great stuff :up:

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Holy hell I'm pissed. I just drove two hours to buy a GMT Master, and the guy tries to sell me a fake. it wasn't even close. I can't imagine having the balls to try to pull that one off.

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Sucks!!! GNT or GMP?:Puke:

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hate to be the buzz kill but if you're going to buy a new Rolex, go to an AD and pay the little extra.

Used? Man, that's a crap shoot.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You're too late, the buzz has been killed.

I know the risks, but I also know that you used to flip watches too.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I actually think that this guy may really believe he has a real Rolex. I've seen worse fix, this one had all the features, it was just crude. It might be passable to someone who's never owned a real one.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There's money still to be made buying and flipping watches. I'd say there's actually more to be made now than when I was playing that game but the stakes are also higher. Better fakes out there, more people doing it and just more hassles.

I wish I had bought and kept a pepsi GMT, a Comex and that steve mcqueen that I looked at.

If you're looking for vintage there's a few real good dealers out there but prices have spiked. The price of a preowned pepsi and even explorer IIs have doubled.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The Pepsi GMT is what pulled me back into flipping. My watchmaker has a 16710 new in the box. He'll sell it to me at a fair price, but it's still a bit out of my comfort zone. I figured if I could make a few deals I could justify it.

Kind of over it right about now.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Newman Daytona. Would have been nice to snap one of those up before the Rolex geeks lost their minds.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I looked at one of those in the 12K range. Now I'd hate to know what it'd cost.

14. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

Just picked up my custom Breitling aerospace titanium to go with a sub 50 anniversary I got recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. trancework

Nice pieces!!! :up: That Sub is great, but MAN-O-MAN, the heirloom factor on that Breitling is through the roof! That's just beyond badass! :beer:

16. trancework

LUM-TEC example...

There was a question about LUM-TEC, I hadn't heard about the brand until I was researching PANs and somebody on one of the watch forms wrote--if you want a polished PAN, save a car's worth of money and get the mirror-tungsten LUM-TEC.

People were raving about LUM-TEC quality and they're quite well reviewed... I believe this cost around a grand or two, but it's a sweet watch from an American company. If you've never explored the brand, I highly advise doing so... It's a nice addition to a good collection... The polished tungsten is about as close to scratch-proof as you can get. If the pics look like scratches it's either dust or reflection--the polish is that mirrored.

Attached Files:

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Lum-Tec has a "Demos and Open Box" section that provides discounted prices.

http://www.lum-tec.com/collection/current-models/demo-open-box-items.html

18. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of any decent watches in tungsten. I have had a tungsten wedding band for 7 years and there are ZERO scratches on it. I wear it everyday and wrench/lift with it. I would love a watch made with it. The heavier the better.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Tough part about the green sub is that it's hard to find a pair of Sperry Topsiders with accents to match. :D

Kidding aside, they're both fantastic. :up:

20. trancework

Exactly... Any "scratching" you see in the pics is an illusion!

I don't see watches like mine on the site and the carbon face is pretty rare, but there are still tungstens on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...m-tec+tungsten&_nkw=lum-tec+tungsten&_sacat=0

Lum-Tec watches also do the PAN trick, where you get three bands in the watch box. Mine came with: brown leather strap, black rubber strap, polished tungsten buckle band (nice it theory, but wearing it on a sunny day makes you look like a rapper). :D