1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by AFORREST4, Oct 16, 2014.

1. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Do your homework on V6 FWD tow vehicles. They will pull an enclosed but be honest with your distances and terrain. I used to pull a 6x10 enclosed with a new gen Honda Pilot. Loaded it was probably around 3000 lbs. I was lucky to get 12 mpg and the torque steer sucked through areas like Chatanooga/North Georgia where there are grades. I also felt like I was beating on it.

2. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Porsche panamera has the highest towing capacity of any car in the world. Just sayin...

3. 70k for a used one. I love those cars. I'll take a diesel or an S.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

07 up Highlander with tow package. I have a customer that uses one to pull a decent size fishing boat and is extremely happy with it.

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

We have an s on the lot for 58. :D

No diesel available though.

6. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Buick or Chevy lt1 wagon,25 hwy no trailer.

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I tow 2200 lbs with a Jeep Wrangler and it does not even break a sweat. Mileage sucks though, about 14-16.

I also tow with a Jeep Patriot, same weight, and it gets worked to death. Its a lease though so I dont give a crap.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Just get a mini van. They fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells, will tow a small enclosed trailer, and you can throw an air mattress in it to "camp."

They also get in the low-mid 20's for fuel mileage, and the gas tanks are large enough for long trips. Just resign yourself to it.

9. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

I actually went and looked it up. the Panamera is rated to tow a 4850 lb braked trailer or a 1654 lb unbraked trailer. But the kit isn't available in the US. The bummer of the deal is, I couldn't afford to ride a motorcycle if I bought one. :beer:

NEXT!!! :Pop:

10. AFORREST4

Came across a sweet Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes diesel. But they want $26k for a 7 yr old vehicle. Not sure I can bring myself to do it. For that kind of cash, I can get an older 2,500 crew cab diesel. :clap:

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Lower your car budget a little and buy an Ironhorse single aerodynamic trailer. This should open up your choice of vehicles to almost any small CUV or SUV with a 2000lb+ tow rating. Another cheaper idea I've played around with is adapting a snowmobile clamshell type trailer. Also, check out Car-Go Micro-Lite trailers.

I think we are doing it wrong with trailers, most of which are designed with little regard for over the road efficiencies.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get that mileage not towing :D

13. AFORREST4

And look cool doing it!

14. AFORREST4

Someone kill me. I'm actually considering a minivan.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

16. AFORREST4

Think they will sell it to me for cheap?

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

it could be worse. you could be considering an Evoque. :D

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Ford Ranch Wagon:beer:

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Astro, just find a nice one that suits you (and keep 15k or more in your pocket).

[​IMG]

20. Blu Flag

Blu Flag Well-Known Member

Have you looked at a Mazda CX5? -25+ MPG, AWD, 2500lb tow capacity.