1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

Here's the budget option:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Deore-M615-Rear-Derailleur

http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Cassettes/Shimano-HG-50-10-Speed-Cassette

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-HG-54-10-Speed-Chain

http://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Single-Ring-Chainring

I believe Zee shifter has the same pull ratio as Deore ones so it should work with this deraileur but I'd double check with Jenson. This setup is what, 130 out the door plus cable and housing. I have what I listed first so no personal experience with this one, likely will be plenty good. I say mountain bikes are very cheap!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Knowing this works on your bike means alot to me. While I pour over ever detail of a motorcycle I'm kind of ignorant of bicycles. Believe it or not I've done that on purpose too! So you've helped me a ton. Your first build is around half of what I was expecting so I'm good with that too. :beer:

4. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Cool, now you need to decide what size front chainring to get. If you do long steep climbs on regular basis and you're not a pedal bending mashing monster go for 30T :) It comes up short on downhills sometimes, 32 is more balanced but less suffering on uphills. You could also spend some more $ and get an aftermarket bigger 'granny gear' as the biggest cog on the cassette.

5. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

cage

bent a few XT bodies ( not cage ) , the short zee works well and is tough
    clutch and shadow and worth the money
    change your chain often, it will save you $$ in the long run
    Sram chains are better ( broken two shimano chains lately)
    sram stuff works good just dont buy the brakes...lol

running 1x10 set up here for a year, works great
    30 NarrowWide upfront and 11-42 rear, One Up conversion, l little tricky to set up but l dont miss the front mech

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I have my local technical trails dialed in with my current ss ratio. But the gearing doesn't work too well anywhere else. I'm thinking if I run the numbers and put my current ratio at ~40% of the stack then I'll have a good spread. Gotta do some math....

7. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Aha, Zee derailleur works ok with 42 rear. Good to know, thanks. I race enduros occasionally and running out of gearing on downhills can be frustrating, so 11-42 and 32 or 34 front would be a good setup.

8. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

well boys, I decided to go the cheaper route for now. Ordered an X7 type 2 rear deraileur. Just going to stick with my X7 stuff for now, and do some more research and thinking on X9 vs XT.

Eventually I will replace my entire drive train and cranks. I would like to get my 39T front ring down to a 36T and replace everything with X9 or XT and take all my X7 shit and put it on my karate monkey road bike which is currently set up 1x9 which is alright, but hell if I could get it to 2x10 it would be sweet.

9. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

Hey guys...If anyone is running 1x, what's your set up?

I'm running RaceFace 32 n/r front, 11-40 wolftooth rear w/KMC chain.

10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I'm running SRAM 1x11 on my WC Epic. Cassette is the standard XO 11-42. I'm a high cadence rider, so I run a Wolftooth 30 T in front most of the time; especially for races. I like the 30 for steeper climbs or when I start getting tired. There are only a few times that I have run out of gear for top end. For me, the benefit of the 30 climbing outweighs the downfall of less top speed. I will add, my training partner rides the same bike but prefers the 32.

Are you wondering about your chainring size?Are you having trouble making climbs, or do you feel like you are blowing up your legs because of your gearing? You might have to try a few different set ups to see what gear works for you and where you are riding. (just like m/c racing)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  11. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

We are talking 26" wheels right?

12. jase

No, not having any problems making climbs where i ride. I was running a 30 up front, but was spinning out way too much on climbs, so i switched to the 32. Took some time to get use to it, but i'm there now and like it much better than the 30.

13. jase

Bike i ride is a 29er.

14. jase

15. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

30 up front steep long hills here in Pisgah
    big pivot firebird 6.5'' front and rear

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

After looking at a few ready made and home built bike carriers I decided to design my own. $30 worth of materials and a donation of an old Thule rack from my brother and here is the end product. Took it for a shakedown ride and everything worked perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

nice setup!:D I take it your trails have nice showers?
    One pet peeve of mine is having to remove the front wheel for transport.

18. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

So I ended up getting my first mountain bike, a used Scott Carbon Expert 29er off a coworker.

[​IMG]

I have had about 3 weeks now and have been able to get out 2-3 times a week so far. I hit Blankets yesterday on the both the South Loop and Dwelling. It really nice having Soap and Blankets within 30 miles from where I live and I can stop by Big Creek on my way home from work.

Anyone have any suggestions for North Georgia? Or anything else within a 2hr drive of Atlanta? I have been to Jake Mountain and Bull Mountain and I look forward to going back and trying a few different trails there. I really enjoyed the Jake Mountain side.

19. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Any reason not to go with a 27.5'" for my first bike? My thinking is this size will be a good compromise for the local areas I can ride in, mostly trail riding. The MB club at work can take me on some more aggressive rides if I so desire. At 57 years old I have no aspersions of becoming a MB racer. However, after a couple of trail rides on a loaner bike, I wouldn't mind seeing what it is all about... at my pace.

Here is a new bike I'm interested in: http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/3500-15/

Got a good vibe from the local shop who sells this brand and don't have time to research every last component that can go into a custom build.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody here doing the Iceman race in a couple weeks?