1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive Paint Brand Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by wingsonwheels, Oct 3, 2014.

1. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have a project that needs exterior paint pretty soon. I painted the interior with PPG Omni single-stage and was very happy with the result. For the Exterior I am planning to do a BC/CC and am looking for advice on paint choice.

I have been looking around online for a resonably priced urethane BC/CC systems. What is your take on these (or others if you have a suggestion)?

Eastwood Basecoats
    TCP Global Restoration Shop
    I read good things about ProSpray but can't find anyplace to buy it.

For the job I will probably need 1.5-2Gal White, 1Gal Metalic Blue, 1 Quart Metalic Red. So price is a concern. However, I don't want to go through all the work just to put on a paint that won't last. UV and fuel resistance are very important. Rock chips not so much, but bugs at 200mph could be a problem.

2. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

By no means am I a pro at painting but I have done a little as a hobby. So other might have better advice.

I like the pro spray base but their am500 clear goes on thin and doesn't give much depth. I now use pro spray base with HOK clear (uc35). HOK clear is very tough and gives really good depth.

3. ped

ped Banned

I like PPG omni base and clear. Or dupont nason clear. just a shade tree hobbyist though.

4. wingsonwheels

How have your project held up over time?

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

All comes down to what you want to spend. We're a PPG shop so of course I lean that way. HoK clear is good, Any of the big name brands are good.

Check out Matrix they have a good BC/CC system based off PPG. I know Matrix BC tints are the same as PPG

6. ped

ped Banned

yeah

7. wingsonwheels

The English Color shop here is PPG as well. I went by yesterday to get a general idea of pricing for the Omni Base. Even the Omni is not cheap, then add in the reducer & catalyst, it really adds up. I was hoping to stay around $1000 for paint. With the Omni that doesn't look possible.

8. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

What are you painting?

9. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Second for the matrix. MS20 is a good high solids overall use clear. Have never used the matrix bases. Something else to consider...Last overall I used Omni on, I ended up buying twice as much as I would have in DBC because the omni was a very poor hider. Ended up spending just as much as if I had gone with the Better base. Not to mention it took like 8 coats to get coverage (time/effort) vs 3 or 4 that it would have taken in dbc.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Sounds like a jet powered motorhome.

11. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Check out SPI. I only have a personal positive experience from their epoxy, but I hear the bases and clear have extraordinary value.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Broome's going to want one of those.

13. wingsonwheels

An aircraft. Takes so much paint since you have to do top and bottom of everything. I might be able to get away witha little less. All depends on how good the coverage is. The interior took about a quart and I still have bits left to paint.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

You gotta add some pics to this thread now!!!

I've always wanted to take on more paint projects but after reading how nasty that urethane/ISO's crap is, I'm too much of a pussy to wanna play with that crap any longer.

For those in the know, any positive advancements in the waterbased stuff???

I bought probably $50-100 worth of auto air colors a few yrs back but like other stuff I piss money away on, never got around to it....who knows if those bottles are even good any longer???

15. attackpainter

attackpainter Well-Known Member

Im a manufacture rep for BASF, prior to taking this position I was a collision painter for a long time. The biggest thing you need to account for is What is this aircraft going to do?

If it is something that will be housed outside you cannot skimp and use a omni priced clear. The reason being and the reason that price point clear is so cheap is there is absolutley no uv protection to it. Uv protection is added to clear by a specific resin and that is where the money comes in. This resin also is crucial with stone chips etc etc. Within a few year of weathering you will start to notice some hazing and eventually the clear just delaminates itsself.

If youre trying to be budget minded go with a cheaper base ie: Limco (BASF), Omni(PPG), Nason(Axalta,formerley DuPont).

Spend some money on a good clear.

16. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

Sherwin Williams has a Dimension line of economy paints that are very good.
    The 4th Dimension is basecoat. And the DC5020 Pro clear is amazing.
    Also, the ATX mid tier paint is good. Some colors are about the same price between these 2, and the ATX is better.

17. wingsonwheels

That is great advice. I plan to hangar the aircraft, but better to be safe. I didn't realize that the clear also protected the base coat. What would you recommend for a good clear that isn't going to kill me on price?

18. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

Also, even a $600 clear will not hold up to 200mph bugs, without a good epoxy primer, for adhesion.

19. wingsonwheels

Ill look into that line as well!

20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I'm a little curious why you are using a bc/cc. I thought most a/c were painted with a single stage. Maybe some show planes use bc/cc?
    Imron used to be what was used but I'm not sure what the latest paints are.