1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking sportbikes for comfort

Discussion in 'General' started by pkaustin, Sep 20, 2014.

1. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

After just retiring my '03 GSXR 1000 (RIP), I'm in the market for a replacement.

Though my middle-age (and somewhat wonky) knees might indicate otherwise, I'm really not yet interested in a sport tourer/ADV bike. I don't do long tours or ride two-up, but at about 6 foot and a reasonably fit 205 lbs, I want another liter-bike that's tolerable for a 300-400 mile day of twisties - occasionally 2-3 in row. After instructing at track days for nearly 15 years, I'm almost done with that, but I still get on the track to play with motorcops. :)

I'd tweaked the GSXR with Helibars and lowered pegs. Not great comfort, but really not too bad - knocked off a very long 600 mile day once a few years ago.

Budget is $4-6000ish (including mods). Japanese only (I'm hooked-up on parts), at least a partial fairing for wind protection.

After getting nearly 65,000 mostly trouble-free miles (7-10,000 track miles!) out of the old GSXR, I'm looking at Suzuki GSXR 1000s again - anywhere from another '03/04 (have a few parts I could swap) up to possibly an '07/08. Bottom end/mid-range power is a priority - '07/8 years swapped some for high-end power - recovered to some degree with exhaust/turning?

Ergos were tightened up after '04, so I'd be looking at reasonably priced options for bars/pegs. Rode a '05 1000 - stock bars/pegs were not doable. '07/08 had the adjustable pegs, so maybe just bars on those. What kind of tail packs works on those goofy beaver tail rear ends?

Other possibilites:

- Couple of low-mile Honda 954s around
    - '06-7 CBR 1000s

Yamaha R1s: Some years had the soft bottom-end power, running hot/roasting ass with the under-seat pipes (best fixes?).

FZ1 might be possible, but bottom-end power looks kinda weak on most. Any years better than other for power, ground clearance, suspension, etc.?

Kawasaki:

Had a modded '98 Zlock 950 ZX9 that I put 70,000 miles on. Great balance of power and comfort. Wish they still made something like that. New 1000 Ninja is kinda close - 60lbs heavier :( - but used ones probably not cheap enough yet.

ZX 10's? Anyone sport-touring on those?

Yeah you can't safely use much of modern sportbikes' performance on the street, and a lot of things probably can be ridden just as fast, but what mods are guys doing who refuse to give up the edgy, snarly, sharp feel of a proper sport bike?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You can get hell-bars to raise the clip-ons up over the top clamp for a more comfortable positioning, a cushier/thicker seat and I've seen riser plates that are used to raise up the stock rear sets to a higher height for track use, you can flip them upside down to allow you lower the pegs instead so your knees aren't bent as at tight and angle.

Those three should help a decent bit.

3. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I haven't ridden one, but I've heard from several sources that a Hayabusa makes a pretty good sport touring bike.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1 on the Heli Bars. The extra height is nice, but the different angle makes a nice difference also. Corbin seat and you're ready for touring!

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Busas have rubber mounted foot pegs and bars. They are comfy. I once told my friend Joe I did not know how he rode it on the track cause they don't turn. His answer was, "sure they do if you give them enough gas they turn all at once".

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Also check out the Apex bars they can be raised and lowered for trackdays.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

FZ1 is a great bike and very comfortable, but it will need to have some suspension work for serious sport or track riding. With anyone over 160lb will need springs at a minimum. Front end is pretty easy to work on yourself if you have any skills.

Also have you considered a VFR800?

8. randy955i

randy955i Well-Known Member

aprilia tuono v2 is more comfortable than the new V4. I have an 07 tuono and commute on it every day. good power, light weight, and very dependable. if you keep up on maintenance these engines can go 100K easily.

9. 1coopgt

1coopgt Well-Known Member

I have a set of these on my 750 . Liking them so far .

10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

The very best thing i did to help my girlfriend feel comfy riding her sv650 was convert it to dirt bike handlebars. Well, aprilia shiver handlebars.

She went from humping the tank like a monkey humping a football to a much more comfortable upright riding position.

It also made the sv650 a wheelie machine.

Wasnt there a naked 1000 which was basically a detuned cbr1000...found it

cb1000r.

throw a screen on that thing and you're set.

11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I've seen a few guys rail twisties on a Busa

12. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Look at the 07-08 1K. I am 6'2" 250lbs and was very comfortable with a few tweaks. The Suzuki Gel seat gives you almost an extra inch of distance seat to pegs. Woodcraft tall clip on's will allow you to adjust angle and height easily. Don't worry about the bottom end of the 07-08. The loss is negligible with a cat delete and tune. There's a reason all the F1000 car guys want the 07-08 motor. It's a reliable mill that makes great power. It's also not sprung super soft like a lot of sport bikes. If you plan to run stock suspension, the stock rates will work for your weight.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  13. pkaustin

Thanks for the all the helpful suggestions, guys.

Leaning towards making another GSXR work, but not totally settled yet. I'll have lots of options as soon as our NW weather starts to turn a bit - which is imminent.

Alocker, didn't know that the Suzuki gel seat provides more leg room.

Longer lines needed with those Woodcraft tall units? Will check out those and the Apex. Good to know that in addition to H-bars, there are other clip-on options. Stock bar angle/width/height don't match with my dimensions.

Also great to know 07-08 suspension will work fine. I like the white/silver color scheme available on the 08. Somehow seems more appropriate for a mature adult like myself.:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  14. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

The gel seat is firmer so you don't squish down into it like the stock foam seat. I ran Galfer GP lines. Any stock rubber line set wont give much room for adjustment but they may work. The white looks nice but I always wanted the 08 murdered out all black with a Taylormade.

15. pkaustin

I teach motorcycle safety classes, so I have to look/sound the part.;)