1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bombshell New AMA Series!

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Sep 3, 2014.

1. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

If they're moving towards WSBK/BSB rules then wouldn't that naturally promote more manufacturers and/or privateers to use different bikes then seeing the same olé R1/Gixxer cup like we've seen the past decade? Superstock rules would seem to favor the bmw/kawi/duc that come quick off the showroom floor making it enticing for more participation TV deal aside. At least that's what I'm reading or hoping.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Kind of my thoughts too. Puts us in a bind if thats the case. I would rather have my back to the wall and have to hustle my ass off to put it together for next year and get 2 years out of it than get 1 season on it before he turns 16 and can move up. Either way we will run the Series and support it 100%.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. TrackStar

WELLLLLLLLLLLL

He's won this amazing prize package including being a mod for another 5 years, half a pack of stale Reds and a luke warm PBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***cheering in the background*****

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Meh, don't care, it needed to be posted again.

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, as part of your prize pack, I'm throwing in a free domain for a full year. www.imneverfuckingwrong.com is all yours. :up:

8. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

I'm confused about the 600 class declarations he made- so he wants to bring in a moto2 category and run it with the current crop of 600s, not unlike CEV..
    Does that mean that next year, the unified 600 class (DSB/SS combination) is going to be a Stock 600 class, or a Supersport Evo-type class (minimal engine mods)? I've been hearing bits and pieces about the unification all year, but I'm not too clear on what it's supposed to favor...

9. TrackStar

From the way I read it there will be 2 different classes/builds of 600's. Run together but scored as their own classes.

10. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

So what are the chances they'll drop the spec tire?? Seems for a club racer who might want to try the series, switching to Dunlop from their normal tire could be a stumbling block.

11. TrackStar

They will keep the Spec tire I would guess. Thats the norm anymore and keeps things on level ground. Wasnt too long ago in the AMA that certain riders were on unobtanium tires.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I tend to notice that any club guys who have any aspirations of doing AMA rounds are usually getting onto Dunlops well in advance to acclimate themselves. Then again that's just my observations.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Their website has a pretty good FAQ section. In there they say that they are currently talking with Dunlop and that trying to change right now might not be the best idea since Dunlop has a tire for Daytona. They also said that they are talking to tracks for a minimum 7 races, talking to TV and are going to try to stream on the internet as well. I hope all this comes together.

14. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

That's going to be a massive grid at 110% cutoff....

15. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I wish them the best, but maintaining stability in the rules package seems like a bad idea. The series organically expired this year, if they can do the right things and maintain the status quo for another year, even with adding TV, it'll still be a failure.

In the past several years, the economy has rebounded (albeit slowly) BMW and Ducati have blown out sales record after sales record and the series has withered and died on the vine.

The spec tire rule is usually presented as a rules-parity issue with no regard to financial impacts; in reality it's designed to funnel money directly into the organizers coffers, away from the teams and any parity is just a side-effect.

The first-order effects are 1) multi-million dollar checks being written from Dunlop to the racing organization, 2) the requirement that teams write big checks to Dunlop and then advertise for them with no compensation and 3) Block teams from receiving any sponsorship funds (or product) from the tire companies.

Elimination of unobtanium tires has occurred in the same era in which only two teams have dominated virtually every single racing event, week in and week out.

I wish these guys the best, hopefully it turns around in a couple of years.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What do you want them to do? Completely revise the classes with around 5 months before the new season? Have the teams spend huge amounts of cash on new equipment with no time to plan? How many teams just getting by this year would be back next year if they have to spend bushel baskets full of cash?

Then there's the tires. Who would be ready to supply tires in 5 months? The spec tire rule did allow some teams to get equal tires to the top teams that they would never have had access to no matter the costs.

So no, you're just wrong. Big time wrong. cheech and chong, bang a gong, bobby fong, you are wrong.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's my pain meds, but i read it as 2 600 classes.
    1. moto2/600's of somesort Maybe dsb rules?
    2. 600 ss.

18. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

Pretty much as expected:

2015 - Priorities are rebuild relationships with tracks and tv networks. Get solid schedule and broadcast. No major changes to rules.

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is the smart decision.

20. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

Really the only decision. (as we know).

If it was me I'd do the following on track modifications for 2015:

- Keep SBK same
    - Keep DSB same (new name though)
    - Eliminate SS (those riders either ride DSB or..)
    - Keep XR1200 class (good grid. entertaining racing. marketing value.)
    - If viable partner is available (Honda, Kawi, KTM) replace SS with 14 year old and up spec lil sportbike class (CBR300, Ninja300, KTM390).

Post 2015 is when you start aligning SBK with world spec (there has been a call for a unified National WSK spec for some time). Giving your SBK teams plenty of notice.