AMA at NJMP- Kawasaki Devil's Showdown

Discussion in 'General' started by doublea, Sep 9, 2014.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I said from the beginning that to even obtain a SS license, you should have to have won at least one expert club race on comparable equipment. If not more.

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Bernat Martinez is looking good in Q1. 1:22.70

3. I am all for bigger grids and I applaud the effort of everyone who makes an effort to get on an AMA grid. Most of the people who discredit those efforts and make the negative comments towards them have never even tried themselves, and with the way this board is, they probably dont even race at all.

They are putting money into the sport, into the vendors pockets and bikes on the grid. What have you done?

Now that I have the disclaimer out of the way, assuming conditions are optimal, there is no sense in having a cutoff % that allows people to compete in a "Pro" race while running :37's-:40's at Barber. Those times wouldnt even get you a top 10, maybe not even a top 15 at a WERA Novice race.

While i applaud and appreciate the efforts of everyone involved, a "Pro" series loses its credibility and appeal when riders are allowed to compete running those sorts of lap times.

It should be much harder to compete at that level...which would bring more credibility to it and bring some of the appeal back. There is no real prestige competing at a Pro race when 75% of the Advanced track day group could make the grid.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would tend to agree with that.

Hopefully the new series will include perhaps a better lower tier feeder class for entry level players to get in at. There's not that much disparity in times between the sharp end of DSB and SS, couple seconds but then once you get back into the pack yeah there's a lot of variation and as mentioned fast amateur club racers could qualify for the DSB grid at this point. There needs to be a better structured entry class.

5. ped

ped Banned

6. Well yeah, when you happen to pick a weekend where there were only 6 Experts finished the race. :rolleyes:

That is not typical. Hell there was a race in 2013 when I was in the :33's and only finished 9th.

You are getting away from the topic and point. A :37-40 is not fast at Barber. It isnt fast for a club racer and damn sure shouldnt get you into a Pro race. The fact that is does is one of the reasons the credibility and prestige has left competiting in a Pro race. Again, there shouldnt be a cutoff % for a National Professional Series that would allow the majority of an Advanced track day group and the majority of a Novice race grid to compete.

That is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

9. ped

ped Banned

I get ya but still...those times would def put you in top 10 novice and very few trackday only riders could that. There's also a real discrepency of machinery/$$.

10. As is the case with any event, it depends on who shows up that weekend. I have been to several STT events when there were 10-15 guys running :34's-:37's. It made for some really good fun.

Ok, so a :37 will get you into the top 10 at a Novice race. That comment was mostly "tongue in cheek"; i didnt actually spend 30min researching lap times prior to making that post. My point was that a :37-:40 shouldnt get you on the grid in what is supposed to be the premier Professional RoadRacing Series in America.

11. ped

ped Banned

Im just trying to defend my shit laptimes is all

12. As soon as I read your first reply i knew that is what was going on. :D

And BTW - a :37 at Barber is not a "shit" lap time. When you factor all the bikes sold in America, 99.99% of sportbike riders in the nation couldnt run that time. A :37 is a good quick time. My point is that it is all relative. For club racers, that isnt a shit time. But that time shouldnt get you (read: anybody) on a Professional grid. The higher up the food chain you get, the harder it should be to compete.

My comments arent directed towards the individuals running those lap times. My comments are directed towards DMG and their cutoffs. They were/are more concerned with putting money in their pocket and filling the grids, so they made the cutoff for SS very weak.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. ped

ped Banned

dont patronize me, it's done been said :tut:

:Poke:

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Who? Me?

15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Omit "Pro"
    Currently, riding in AMA is not a profession.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mike's done just a bit for the sport ;-)

17. No.

18. Never said he didnt. I actually agree with his thoughts on this subject.

19. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

So SS with semi wet-ish conditions and a 50 bike grid.... Crash count predictions?

I'm going 8 DNF's/ 2 restarts

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'll see your 8 crashes and raise you 4 plus 1 red flag.