1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki A1R?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by nigel smith, Aug 26, 2014.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to trade for what seems to be a genuine A1R road racer. It has the wrong tank and the fairing is butchered. Dunlop race tires look as old as the bike, so it's been a bit since it's seen a track. Run away? Grab it and let my kid race with all you vintage gentlemen? Any input welcome.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Grab it, race it. Few and far between. Nice, competitive bike, even tho' it is a smoker . . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

3. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

4. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

A7R

I worked on and ran an A7R replica in 1978 never quite got it right but it was a neat bike. Go for it or let one if us 2 stroke fanatics know the details.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Cool video. Absolutely a spot on indictment of the issues associated with racing smokers.

Cheers,

Dave

6. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I wish I would still be around for awhile. Looks good to me.

7. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Ravedoper has one... He can tell you most everything. Should be back next week from IOM.

8. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

even tho' it is a smoker.........REALLLLY!

9. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Find the right tank and keep it for an investment. Or else be prepared to have every part you will need re-manufactured for it. Buy an RD or DS7 to race...

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't do investment motorcycles. How about racing it with a regular A1 motor? Are they much different? As long as there is one perfect A1R in a museum somewhere in the world, mine belongs on a track.

11. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Would like to have it put one of my F5 Bifhorn,s in itl

12. tannermatic

tannermatic Rad dad

kawasaki A1R....... I have a tank mold for that bike

13. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Hey Tanner - what else do you have tank molds for? Maybe a dunstall tank like this one:

[​IMG]

14. tannermatic

tannermatic Rad dad

yep i could make that have a similar shape tank design too

15. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

So I see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I checked out the Tannermatic thread on the cafe board and it looks like you make the tank I am looking for!

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Now that might be an idea. Altho I'm not sure A1 parts are any more common than A1R these days. At least you'd be starting at a lower state of tune which should mean it would last longer. Not that the stock A1 is a slug.