1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

French Governement dissolved. . .

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dave K, Aug 25, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It would be like firing Congress and having a new election.

I'm not sure you have a good understanding of how that works. The last one who tried that ended up with an opposition-led government.

2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

In'it more like firing the President and Cabinet? i.e., the executive branch, it sounds like this doesn't involve new elections for Parliament.

Same thing goes on with the Israeli government with tedious regularity, usual at an inopportune moment. Seems to be a standard feature of multi-party/parliamentary systems

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, president doesn't go anywhere.

New national assembly is voted in. The party (or coalition) that wins the most seats de facto gets to pick the prime minister. So if the opposition wins, you end up with a president and a prime minister from opposite sides of the political divide.

Dissolution is a risky move for a president. Unless an opposition government is exactly what he wants. In a tough economic climate, that can be a shrewd move. Get the people pissed off at the other party (counting on their inability to turn things around in the time they have left) so you can get reelected at the next presidential election.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That's fucking bad ass. I wish we could do that. I see the potential downsides to it too but holy damn, to be able to get rid of every freakin incumbent in the game? I'm totally an optimistic idealist in hypotheticals like that but I can't imagine a situation in which we'd be worse off. Even if a whole congress of argumentative nutjob idiots got voted in. We'd at least be back where we started.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, it's an interesting system. It offers a solution to situations where the parliament refuses to work with the executive.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

How that country/culture has survived and lasted as long as it has is simply amazing to me.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:crackup: :stupid:

I'd say the money that the rich n famous pour into that shithole every year is what has helped contribute to their longevity. :D

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

France should show up on Amazon.com soon.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Can Israel buy France and fund moving the State of Pakistan there?

From what I hear, it's almost there anyway.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct. I do not know much about the Government of France or most other European governments for that matter. Going by the headlines (we know how accurate and detailed they are :rolleyes:) it sounds like someone is elected to the leadership position and one of the first things that they do is fire everyone and bring in all their friends to fill the slots.

What is a brief explanation of the inner workings?

Edit: Never mind. I see you already explained it for the most part. You live in a weird country. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know either but I have to give them credit for one thing: in the years I have spent here, I've never seen a government shutdown. The clowns at the top don't keep things from running. Never heard of things like "sequester" either.

12. In Your Corner

credit?
    :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Really?

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:confused: Yeah, I think it's a good thing when government services are open for business. I must be missing something hilarious.

14. In Your Corner

You obviously didn't pay attention to the "shutdown", for starters, but if your gauge of healthy government is that it is "open for business", you have low expectations.
    I suppose that's just your European view.
    France is a mess.
    They better hope they get invaded again, it's the only thing that has historically allowed them to survive.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You don't have a clue what I paid attention to.
    In typical IYC fashion, you came up again with a BS interpretation of what I said. I never said that they have a healthy government. You made that up, as usual.

But you are correct, albeit completely accidentally, on the fact that I have low expectations of government.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They don't need to shut down the government, they just go on strike and riot.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Strikes are a totally different issue, and a much bigger drag on their ability to improve things as a country.

18. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

The American Revolution was a big mistake...
    We traded an absentee landlord with a 1% tax rate for what we got now....

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So many French workers are used to the sweet deals they had that there is no reason for them to risk losing that.
    But the reverse side is there is little room to make "real" money if you stay in France so they are leaving.

Meh, you know all that, don't know why I'm posting it.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then pack your shit and move. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.