1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handicapping the 2016 GOP hopefuls

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by auminer, Aug 18, 2014.

?

Who gets the GOP nomination?

Poll closed May 29, 2016.
  1. Chris Christie

3.8%
  2. Jeb Bush

11.5%
  3. Rand Paul

17.9%
  4. Paul Ryan

17.9%
  5. Ted Cruz

5.1%
  6. Rick Perry

1.3%
  7. Marco Rubio

6.4%
  8. Sarah Palin

6.4%
  9. Scott Walker

15.4%
  10. Other Who

14.1%
  1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Rho Chalmers going down:

[​IMG]

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don't much care for Perry, but I must admit he looks suave and cocky in his mugshot. He has Presidential hair. Any relation to Bowling Bau?

My prediction is that this will backfire badly for the Democrats and he'll emerge politically stronger than before, and they'll look like fools.

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

no. it was kinda 2 thoughts in 1. i AM saying that he made some sunshine-y promises about Gitmo and other government involvement things that he obviously couldn't just run with once he got into office.

and relating that to small government... i will assume that all those nice cheery dreams will be squashed and promises broken by any of those libertarian types, simply just because of the tough choices or outside/inside influences they'll have to contend with to keep their position or get other things done. when hundreds of new laws are passed year after year... thinking some dude is gonna magically reverse that is a pipe dream. that's all.

4. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

If the GOP controls the House, Senate, and the Presidency, we're screwed...
    At least now we have gridlock which is the best thing we can hope for.....

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well, within a few months this charlie-fox will be all over the idiot box & intertubes... lately it seems I've been seeing more and more "news" articles bashing Rand Paul, mostly via his dad's niewpoints rather than anything Rand himself has done/said.

It's still my belief that the GOP nom is merely the lamb to the slaughter, and William Jefferson will be moving back into the house he occupied in the 90s... though the Oval Office won't be his this time.

Has anyone changed their picks from the above list? Anyone to add?

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i dunno why i didn't see this 5 months ago, well i do know why... cause i never come in here at night or on the weekends so if i miss something by friday at 3pm, its gone forever... BUT...

no i was not saying obama was small government. but specifically he DID make promises to close gitmo which i'm sure after he got into office and got all of the real deal information, contributed to that not happening. that's what i meant as a relational statement for an example... these small gov. dudes can make all these promises, until they get in there and realize that things are more complex, or they have to bend for this deal, or to get this thing done, or whatever... then it probably won't happen. that's all.

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

People, as well as the writer of this article, will see what they want to see concerning the charges and indictment of Perry. All those charges and the indictment were brought forward by a DA that's a hot shot Democrat and the Grand Jury is from Austin which is the land of the Democrats so the indictment was no surprise.

The woman that Perry was trying to get out of office is a devout Democrat that had the propensity to go after Republicans but with very little drive to go against anyone that was a Democrat. Partisan politics in Travis County (Austin) is the name of the game.

While I don't wish to see Rick Perry in the office of the Presidency I've felt all along that his tenure as Texas Governor was pretty damn successful. We've kept the liberal/progressives out of the way ever since the blond bimbo left office years ago and have done rather well even avoiding most of the downturn of the past few years. I would bet a buck or so that if we were under Democratic control we would be up to our neck in debt like most of the blue states are. We damn sure would be up to our neck with illegals. :up:

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Austin is a political cancer in Texas that keeps getting worse. The main problem that I am seeing is that due to all of the good jobs we have people moving from Democrat run high cost no job shitholes to where the jobs are then immediately start asking for all of the programs and services that caused where they moved from to be a high cost no job shithole. People that are moving in may be good with technology but they suck at making the connection between cause and effect.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I went to see Chris Christie tonight, and I have to say, the guy is pretty impressive.
    Smart, very well spoken, doesn't duck questions, very sincere guy in my opinion.
    And nowhere near as fat as I am.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Chris Christie looks good until I let my imagination take control. He seems like a man that might be as bad as Obama when it comes to getting his way by hook or by crook. I'm afraid that he would take over the country if he could. Of course, I guess any of them would. I feel that it takes a hell of an egotist to run for the office of the President to begin with.

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The only reason Gitmo wasn't closed, was that Congress specifically legislated - by a veto-proof margin - the closing of Gitmo would not happen.

13. In Your Corner

Since the Dems held both houses, I'd say his idea wasn't too popular.

14. In Your Corner

I suggest you go listen to him if you get the chance, because he doesn't come across that way at all. I would sum him up as a no-nonsense guy.
    He didn't shy away from saying things people didn't want to hear.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've heard Christi speak a couple of times (not in person) and I too am impressed with his bold style and blatant honesty. My fear is that his boldness can also be a detriment when it comes to reasoning with him if he decides there is something that he wants that no one else wants. For example, from what I've read about him he seems to be a bit gun negative. Do you feel that he would be one to try to find a way around existing laws? I'm not sure.

16. In Your Corner

Do you have an actual concern if you're not sure?
    Consider this, he's a Republican Governor in a state with a Democrat legislature.
    Do you think he gets anything done by insisting on his own way?

Again, I'd say your perception of him is way off.

17. ped

ped Banned

Christie is way too down to earth and pragmatic to stand a chance. Palin/Perry energizes the base.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Shame he is not listed, if Ben Carson does not make it I will write him in.

We need someone who won't toe the line of both these freaking communist party's.
    I'm done with voting for the smartest of the idiots running.

Lastly, the problem is not LaBomba or Bush it's the Congress and Senate.
    We need some house cleaning, members willing to stand up and not allow the executive and judicial branch's to circumvent our constitution.

19. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

All the 'cool' guns will already be banned/etc by the time the next prez comes into office :D

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I listened to Carly Fiorina this evening. I like.