1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to retire in east TN?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

Gotta few more years to grind out in Shitropolis, then we're heading to east TN (or maybe west NC) to retire.

Going there in a couple weeks to check out some areas south of Knoxville and north of Chattanooga.

Looking for recommendations of where to retire considering we like canoeing/kayaking, hiking and, of course, M/C riding.

Just want to be close to the mountains and some water, and not too isolated.

Where and why suggestions are much appreciated.

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We live and work in Knoxville. I still have several decades of working before I can think of retiring. But, with that said, we love it here. If you have any specific questions about the area around knoxville, just let me know. And if you want to come hang out in the area for a few days, we've got an extra room.

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Rick, my folks have a cabin on 5 acres near Galax, Va, its very nice, just off the blue ridge parkway, near the NC / VA border off I-77.

Small but new cabin. The shed / shop is almost as big as the cabin.

It is also for sale. :D

4. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a place on 600 acres between Cookeville & Crossville on the Cumberland Plateu. Gorgeous and everything opposite of what this place is... Plus it's closer to NashVegas!

5. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, Draik's Dad, that's very kind. I may bounce some ideas and questions off you when we get there.

Charlie, I'd be interested in seeing it if you can send some info via PM (we can exchange emails).

Chris, that area is nice (Michael's wife has family there), but we're leaning toward points east of there.

Gonna rent a house for a few days and cover as much territory as we can.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

North GA....:up:

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Rick,
    You might like the Asheville, NC area. Also, pretty good jumping off point for places like the Parkway, Greenville, N. GA., etc. Also, closer to the beach versus TN if you want a change of scenery.

8. 70yamahaR5

Actually, north GA and NE AL are on the list to be checked out, too.

Still think the short list will be east TN and west NC.

My great uncle built a beautiful home on the mountain outside Waynesville, NC in 1974. Some great memories there. Unfortunately it didn't stay in the family.

9. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I live in Ooltewah, TN just north of Chattanooga and grew up in Cleveland, TN. Fantastic area. You have the Ocoee and Nathahala very close for your water desires, plus many other rivers and streams.. Lost of hiking and very close to NC hiking as well.

I am only a couple hours from the start of the Cherohala Skyway and beyond. Also, from what I hear, there is a good bit of MX riding inbetween here and Knoxville as well as around Knoxville.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have as well.

10. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, Joe, we've visited Asheville and surrounds a lot, but it's not for us.

Tiller, thanks for the info. That is a nice area and we've done a lot of white water and canoeing around there.

We've rented a house in Coker Creek (Cherokee Ntl Forest), which is near you I believe.

#156 Well-Known Member

Check Erwin, tenn . Has Nolichucky river , Appalachian trail, and is central for racing southeast or mid a region. Not to mention some great roads for street riding.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  12. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I'm new to Chattanooga but loving it here so far. City is about the right size for me. Small, but always something going on. Prentice Cooper state forest is 24,000 acres and just about 15min from down town. Cherokee National is about 1hr or so. Enough water to keep you busy.

I worked an aid station at a 100mile run a while back. We were set up on Coker Falls, very pretty area.

13. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

:stupid: I've been trying to get to that area more often over the past year. I really like everything from Erwin to Bristol.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

You want to get a place where skinny toothless kids strum banjos real good on porches and excitement, fun, and adventure can be found on a canoe trip….

15. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Used to ride the area at least once (maybe twice) a year. From my experience east TN has a higher tooth to head ratio than western NC. Tellico Plains always seemed pretty nice.

16. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

We moved here this year - Hampton/Unicoi, right next to Erwin. Love it. Can be in Asheville in an hour, trout fishing/hiking/canoeing in minutes, great m/c riding in any direction.
    Closing this week on property up towards Mountain city.
    I've got 15 or so left before I retire but I hope to be right here.

17. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

The casting director for that movie actually sent his scout out to find an albino kid but the squinty kid was the best [worst?] he could come up with. Rumor has it [Jesse's redneck buddies] that the kid works at a restaurant in Clayton.

18. 70yamahaR5

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Maryville, TN.

Cool little liberal arts college town of about 30K. Nice downtown and neighborhoods, close to Knoxville, the mountains and some great riding.

Not far from I-40 and I-75.

What's not to like?

19. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

You bet! Great choice. :up:

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Oak ridge is nice if you can find a place.

I grew up spending a lot of time during the summers in knoxville and Oakridge.

My family still has a house in Oakridge. Smokey Mountains National park is one of my fave destinations in the world. Very fond childhood memories there.

I usually take one of the fun cars up there and have a blast on those awesome roads. The food is great also.