1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dunlop GP-Pro..... Opinions/Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ped

ped Banned

yeah that's what lops need....more carcass

2. Actually he said I need to change my front/rear brake bias. :D

I can't get my damn car to turn while on the brakes. As soon as I apply the brakes, it runs straight. That is really messing up my block passing.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:crackup: he's right though. although you may just have to adjust your brake markers and let of the brakes to make the passes. most of the simulator console games i've played just push the front unless you're using pedals and a wheel. the controller just doesn't have the feel..

4. I figured out the best way to do it is to just let off the brakes and plow into the people turning. If I start to initiate my turn right before I hit them, the front of my car will bounce off of them and point in the right direction. By doing that I make up time because I don't have to slow down to make the corner like they do. Then when I hit them I get slowed down enough to make the corner while also ramming them into a wall. Win-win. :D

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

you really are 12 aren't you:crackup: :crackup:

6. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

NESBA intermediate group, speak up please!

:D

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

12 is conservative!

:D

8. supercarl

supercarl AKA The Pool Boy

So the new Dunlops are definitely better than the old Dunlops. Front didnt push as much and the rear had much more drive grip and corner confidence. I ran a set of the old dunlops on friday before the ama weekend then the new ones on sunday for the ama supersport races. so I had a good comparison. I encountered tearing on the rears of both the old and new dunlops. lower tire pressures helped, but I think thats just what the track does to the dunlop tires. Alot of riders had the same issue. Scotty from TSE dialed in my suspension phenomenally, which also helped with the tearing issue, but it never completely went away. I never tried the medium plus compound rear though. That tire may not have seen tearing but other riders complained about a lack of grip from it at mid ohio so i didnt bother trying it.

Now comparing the new dunlops to other tire brands, I can only compare it to Michelin tires as that is what I run for CCS/WERA races. I ran the WERA races mon/tues before the ama round with Michelins so its another pretty good comparison. Although the dunlops have improved,the Michelins are still WAY BETTER than the new dunlops. The michelins feel way more confident and offer more grip in my own experience. The tires also didnt tear once I got the pressures dialed in. Grip stayed at a high level for a long time before dropping off whereas the dunlops grip drops off rather quickly.

Just my two cents

9. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Mike, I wish I had your know-how of bike set-up.
    I'm only telling you that I rode the tires with zero change,
    I was not saying that zero change was needed.
    Someday maybe I could get you to give my bike the once or twice over.

10. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

This pretty much wraps up every comment I heard from every rider at the AMA Weekend I spoke to. Some focused more on the front tire, some on the rear improvements. I'm assuming that's because some ride the front harder and others more on the rear. Seems a general improvement all around. It does seem to require a slightly different setup, which I think is expected when a tire performs better than it previously had.

11. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

:stupid: them round things ain't free at the races

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

bigun has been running them for a while now, i don't think he has had any chunking problems

setup?

13. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I used the new front slick in the endurance race and liked it. Rear lasted 88 laps as well as the front. 7455 front, 8477 rear. I was far from setting the world on fire but the new 120/70 slick is much better than the 125/80 they made. Have not tried the DOT's yet.

14. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I did not see any chunking on any of the tires I saw.

Tim set the fastest lap of the weekend on them Sunday. 1.24.3

The Michelins use to chunk really bad. I saw the new UK dot do it but not any of the USA stuff. I have not been around much so take it for what it is.

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

just thinking outside the box Chip .. but i would think that would be true for those riders only using dunlops in ama events, and something else at club events (and then the opinion may be biased to the other tire).. but those riders using dunlops at ama events AND at club events, many are getting preferred pricing for the tires they buy at club events, AND contingency.. so as when sponsored by any product, they may give a better review than someone totally unbiased (if there is such a rider that is credible/fast enough to bother listening to). :) is that a wrong assumption ?

what is hard to argue though, is the fact that every rider i talk with that runs dot michelin or pirelli, go faster at the same tracks vs when on the dunlop ama spec dot.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  16. MELK-MAN

A) Tim (assume you are talking about Bigun) could go fast on anything.. he's an awesome rider, and was one of the best riders at NJMP on one of the fastest bikes (a 1000)

B) "the Michelins use(d) to chunk really bad..." As in all the time ? (nope) some of the time ? what? Care to elaborate? I have been on em for 11 years, at a pretty decent expert club level pace, and have only seen issues at Daytona on some bikes, with some riders. As we know, Daytona is a unique place, and michelin doesn't make a daytona specific tire.. so some are bound to have an issue there, but again, that comes down to some riders, on some bikes.

and i love it (not really) when someone admittedly has little experience/knowledge on a subject, yet still want's to voice an opinion .. ;)

17. MELK-MAN

Carl, you and Curtis Murry are a couple of the few that have stated openly (internet forum) that the spec dot tires are not as good as other stuff (including better compound dunlops) and actually race on both (spec and non spec stuff).
    I have spoken with a bunch of others that run at the pointy end and it's pretty unanimous.. run the spec dot when you have to, run a faster dot when possible, or you will go a little slower. Better, still isn't as good as michelin or pirelli.

18. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

that.. :up:

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Greg, I love when you say stuff I don't have to. :)