AMA Mid-Ohio

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jul 19, 2014.

1. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If I'm not mistaken that pic is prolly 7 years old or so...

Ride safe,
    AAron

2. About right.

3. caferace

caferace No.

I wonder what she looks like now. That's from like 8 years or so ago ...

-jim

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Agreed

An old photo chop of some other picture.

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

So I have to ask, Mid-Ohio is that bad in the rain? What makes it so bad that they won't do any of the races? Kept hearing sealer mentioned. They seal the track with a slippery chemical? And if it the track is so crappy, why did it make the tiny list of tracks AMA is doing this year? Cheap to rent and/or good attendance?

I ask, with only 1 real rain race under my belt (Tally with crazy downpour (last year)). With that experience, I felt Tally was easy in the rain and I had one of my best finishes with WERA. So I take it that it may be a better track in the rain because of the surface?

I'm all for rider safety, and I can understand if it isn't safe to ride in the wet, then sure as heck don't race it in the wet. So don't misunderstand me too much and think I'm calling them pussies or anything, I just want to understand better.

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Everyone says how bad it is in the rain, when I was there last year for VMD, and even the utterance of rain would result in a response like I have never seen. The reaction was such a knee jerk reaction, it didn't matter if a alien space ship was landing behind them they would stop and The first thing out of anyone's mouth was FUCK THAT.

With that said, I went out. I love Racing in the rain. It was slick at a slow pace even at a medium pace, but at their pace I can see how they would say no fuckin way.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

yes... Even dew on that friggin track makes it like a ice skating rink... It's all rubber... Awesome in the warm dry time but as soon as any moisture gets on it it's Ice... I didn't believe this but when I went out at 9am one AM I quickly found out it was true... You can't compare this place to tally at all grip wise.. Gel I can go 85% there on rains... Grip is the best IMO.. Mid Ohio the complete opposite..

8. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider Grattan a true repave... The way that Mid-Ohio would do it would cost a lot more and why they probably aren't doing it. They could grind off the top a little and "repave" like Grattan, but it is a patch and not the proper way to do it...

9. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Grattan likely never has ground effects cars or Indy cars on it either

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

For any WERA cats out there, if you see him say howdy to #760, Mr. Tim Wilson; he's a long time WERA racer and making his AMA debut this weekend.

Best of luck Timbo :up:

11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

You may well be right, but wouldn't a Grattan type repave at least replace the crummy surface with a new one? Mid-O. Doesn't need a whole new pave anyway, it's just the top surface that's so bad. It's not like Nelson's or anything.

12. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Here is a link to info about the paving they did at Mid-Ohio:

Kokosing

If I had to guess there is something about the aggregate they used in the mix, perhaps it is too smooth. When everything is just perfect, it offers great traction, but any other time... yeesh. I preferred the old surface... at least you could use the concrete seams as berms... :D

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The asphalt is coming up where the concrete used to be in the Keyhole. They patched it last night but it didn't work very well. The track is just a crazy combination of surfaces with widely varying grip as it almost always has been.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

$2 mil ehhhh?

15. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

Tim is pitted with Rick Lind and I. That guy is a hoot.

16. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

:up:

Damn skippy. He's old-school, Eric Roberts 'Best of the Best' :D

If I wasn't up to my f-in eyeballs in work I'd be out there. Best of luck to you guys - Get sum :beer:

17. Chip

Chip Registered

7 races on sunday...back to back....with a possibility of more weather. What could go wrong? :)

Everybody keep there fingers crossed and eat your Wheaties! Its gonna be a busy day!

18. ped

ped Banned

hope they shorten the laps at least cause that is crazy

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Didn't know it was an old photo. But my comment still stands. Fuck the people who call racers pussies when they themselves have never gotten on a bike or behind the wheel.

20. It was repaved around 2006. When I raced there in 2005, it still had the concrete patches in a few of the turns, and the old surface was also very slippery in the rain.