1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA VMD Mid-Ohio Questions

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by t500racer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Hi. Did a search but still have some questions regarding VMD at Mid-Ohio:

1. Exactly which classes can I run with a modified EX500? It looks like only Gen X LW, but the cheat sheet says V5 bikes can run in Original Superbike? Is that a no no for the EX?

2. If I decide to run just the WERA stuff on Monday and Tuesday, can I set up in the paddock on Saturday and spectate? I understand I will have to pay the gate fee, but is it ok to set up early for those only running the WERA stuff?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - if the EX is V5 it's OSB too.

2 - Good question, in the middle paddock should be okay but you may need a parking pass for that, I honestly can't remember.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

You might have a hard time finding a place to park in the middle of the paddock on saturday, just a fyi.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lower paddock will be full for sure. Middle may have room, upper is full of OEM's doing demo rides.

5. t500racer

According to the AMA VMD website:

"g. The paved paddock must be cleared by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 13, 2014.
    h. No camping will be allowed overnight on Sunday, July 13, 2014."

Does this mean that racers staying over for the WERA stuff have to vacate the paddock and stay somewhere else on Sunday night? I don't think anyone will appreciate having to pack up and leave to come back on Monday morning.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Call Mid O. They are really good at allowing people to stay the night before and between events. I am sure they won't make you pack up and leave.
    (419) 884-4000

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We were first last time and had no issues with people staying from us to VMD so I doubt there will be any problems this year going the other way - however I will ask the boss to make sure and we'll let you know. Trying for some down time this week so give me until next for the answer.

8. t500racer

After reading the AMA vintage rules it looks like this is not correct. The EX is "performance indexed" into V5, I think. AMA rules state for Original Superbike the bike has to be air-cooled, which the EX is not.

I can't find anything in the AMA rules about allowing the EX into OSB. Is anyone planning on running an EX in this class?

Thanks.

9. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing for my Rz, must be air cooled and four stroke only. Leaves me out. Not to mentioned..no fairings, clip ons, headlight shell must be used etc.
    Wish they would just use WERA's rulebook.

10. t500racer

:stupid:

I have to decide whether it is worth it to pay the extra money (AMA membership, gate fees, etc.) in order to only race one race per day. Are the WERA points paid for the VMD stuff the same as if racing WERA vintage, or is it half points or something?

11. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

It's full points for each race.

12. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I have always run my EX in GenXLW which is Wera V6LW. I think that is where the RZ would go too. For the little detail things (like the headlight bucket, clip-ons etc.) I would not worry to much about them. I have done Tech there and we are just looking at the normal safety stuff, not class eligibility details. My EX has no bodywork although GenXLW requires OEM style bodywork. Most of the other bikes in that class had bodywork that would not even be close to stock appearing.

I guess you could be protested by another racer, but the people racing at this event are really there for a fun race weekend, and I think most take it in that spirit.

(This may be different than another race org. where I've heard of protests over stupid little stuff, just to win a cheeseboard)

13. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Wanted to run OSB heavyweight for V5 points also, but the AMA rules say four stroke only.
    Not going to make the trip for one race.

14. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

puss..............

15. PVR46

PVR46 Well-Known Member

In regards to overnight camping;

Make SURE you verify with Mid-O track Sec and get a NAME if told you may stay on Sunday.

3 years ago, when the AMA Pro Nat was the following weekend and after VMD, they allowed you to stay Sunday night, into next week and leave your setups.
    This was or was not (depending on who you asked, contingent on your having creds for Nat[l weekend.

WELL, our tickets were not sufficient and we were tossed and made to break camp at 2300 at night by some track Nazi named Lance. The 'gentleman' was a total a-hole and gleefully tossed us. Not fun as we had to go search for rooms after beer drinking at our campsite all night.
    It was all very AssCar in experience and I am still pissed at myself for ever returning to that place.

Complaints to track Mgmt went unanswered. Just like the old days at Mid-O !!

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it's been sold and management has changed since then so I expect less hassles. Now - what we are talking about is camping in the paddock, we have nothing to do with the spectator areas or how those are handled or policed.

17. PVR46

PVR46 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Mongo! (sold and remanaged)

Our experience too was as racers running the vintage weekend wanting to stay over Sunday night.

I am hopeful though of the change of ownership. It's no secret Mid-O has a sordid past when it comes to CUSTOMER treatment.

Dave

18. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Mid-Ohio Vintage Days, July 12 & 13. This will be my first time to not race it. I will be there with a few of my bikes with guest riders. Stop by garage 19 and say hello. I am not able to ride and will be selling many of my bikes in the near future

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hate the not riding and for sure hate the selling but damn glad you'll be there Sam!

20. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Can Modern bikes practice on Fri.?

NOT ME. Thanks