1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunoco 260 vs VP VPR fuel?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by StaccatoFan, May 22, 2014.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I have a 2011 R6 with a Graves Supersport motor in it that requires me to run Sunoco 260 (AMA Spec fuel) in it.

VP sells a VPR fuel that has a similar octane rating.

Is the VP safe to run in my bike's motor?

Thanks in advance.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Darrin,
    My builder said it is ok to run pump gas, when you aren't racing AMA, without having to re map. I've done that successfully many times. If you go to an AMA round, make sure to drain the entire fuel system before running Sunoco again.

3. StaccatoFan

No this is an actual Graves Motor....I bought the bike from someone else.

I asked Mark Rozema from Markbilt and he said on pump gas this motor woudl blow in about 10 laps.

I don't ride it often..so the fuel costs are probably not going to kill me.

I just want to know if I can use VPR versus Sunoco because I have a drum of VPR in the garage I'd like to use up.

Thanks for the answer though.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Call Graves.

5. StaccatoFan

Thanks Sean...I have an email sent to Graves Tech support. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I'll call them.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They'll be the best bet since everyone builds things differently. Someone here may know the specifics of a Graves build but it's good the be sure on something that expensive.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You should probably remap the ECU to the fuel. That's a safe bet whenever you change fuels.

8. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Fyi on the vpr, it is a slightly oxygenated leaded fuel and I believe the 260 is non-oxygenated unleaded. Go to vpracing.com and have the specs of the fuel available to give to Graves. VP states remapping is not required, but I agree with Rick that you should.

9. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

maybe only ride it for 9? :D

10. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Our R6's had a bunch of ignition advance put into them to get power out of the Sunoco. When we went back to VP, the motor really didn't like that advance anymore so it was removed. Grave's may be the same?

We decided to save the dough and just run pump gas anyway.

11. Boman Forklift

Razorboy,
    Congrats on the wins this weekend.

I'm going to have to look and see how much advance we have, I actually have no idea. Was it in the power commander or in the ecu?

12. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

We ran stock ECU's Rob so the ignition advance was put in via the Dynojet Ignition Module.

Thanks for the kudos
    We are getting more and more knowledgeable about the 675 F3 every time we run it. There is lots left in that bike that we are determined to pull out. Not bad for a stock motor, no slipper clutch and pump gas......:)

13. Boman Forklift

Weren't you running a flashed box?