1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on tents

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It's not that difficult, like joe said, use a drybag and strap in on, that's where my tent, sleeping bag, pad, extra clothes went for my trip.

http://ridingnorth.com/2013/08/12/day-17/

2. In the summer, expect thunderstorms. Tents suck in thunderstorms.

The best defense against thunderstorms is a tent that won't get dragged away by the wind. Take whatever wimpy tent stakes that come with the tent and toss them. Buy a set of extra-strong, extra-long stakes, and bring a hammer to drive them in.

3. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

For a pillow, one can just use an unused stuff sack(like from the tent or sleeping bag, cloths, etc) of appropriate size. Thats what I do when backpacking. Just stuff whatever isn't being used at the time(riding pants, leathers, etc) and Whalla!

4. Quoted for posterity :)

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Sounds good. I already have a T-bags expandable (great name, lol)

[​IMG]

that sits on the passenger pillion. I'm sourcing a a rack to go behind the passenger rest to stow some of this shit.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

shit, i cant believe i never thought of that. :clap:

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Only problem is on day 5 of 3 days worth of clothes and one day before laundry day your pillow stinks of fumunda cheese and sweat.

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

And if one doesn't like the fun plastic feel of the sack, then I just stick it inside something else more compfy. Like that fleece tech-t, etc.

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

No reason for that if one uses the tent or bag stuff sack. Then stuff the riding jacket inside(whalla!:p). No used smelly cloths were harmed in this process;).

Even when one carries a true backpacking type pillow, its still designed to be stuffed with chit.

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

But..but.."good" tents don't have to suck in storms. In fact, they can easily rock. Many a night I've spent the night up on an open bald at 6000'+ altitude in these here NC mtns, and was living large inside while under siege (cooking, coffee, bourbon, etc)..as hell was coming thru just outside. Back when I was pack'n most every week for yrs, I'd make it a point to drive up to the Shining Rock wilderness(several 6k+ balds along the Art Loeb and MTS trails) area many times, just to be able to pitch a tent in an exposed manner later that night up on a bald, for a bad arse Front that was soon to come thru. So far so good:up:(well, there was that one time my Marmot Asylum singlewall mtneering tent walls passed wind driven water thru the waterproof/breathable laminate. and that was a $700 tent 15yrs ago:down:. its been since replaced by both an Integral Designs MK1XL and Bibler Eldorado. but I rarely use those cept for high alt winter pack'n).

Also use the thin, smaller, much lighter backpacking specific tent stakes and just hand push'm in the ground(properly canted toward the wind). I've been hammered/under seige for up to 12+ hours in sometimes 40-75mph wind(measured by 2 diff wind meters) driven rain and snow. At most, I have sometimes carried 1 or 2 of the longer stronger 4 sided stakes. Just to use on the leading corner, wind facing side of the tent.

Yes the cheaper, higher profiled, flat sided, "hopeitdon't" discount store tents suck in the rain. --("hope it don't"...rain). Not a good quality backpacking specific, lower profiled, properly located(back side corner facing the wind) and staked(double crossed stakes on that corner) tent. When it does happen, 99.5% of the time its the users fault(like not going out at 2am to re-taunt, check guy lines and stakes, etc since its started to move around a bit after it got cold and wet. -nylon typically expands when its gets cold and/or wet. so it requires some tending to along the way). Thats all part of it tho.

Oh, sorry. :) The end.

11. Cool story, bro.

12. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Well, you got me there. I guess I'm a little long winded sometimes. Point is, I wouldn't be afraid of t-storms in any good decent tent.

Now lightening can be an issue tho, especially up higher.

13. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

:stupid: My hammock has done well also but I need to anchor it down with tent stakes (I think that phenomenon is peculiar to my Lawson Blue Ridge design).

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

that's a good bag, I had something similar when I went to daytona. Hot tip- put the bag backwards, sitting on the rear seat, instead of the rear rack. that way when you want to rest you can lean back into the pack and enjoy the padded back rest. :)

plus you save the rack if you get one for longer stuff..

second the opinion on getting good tent stakes. get the anodized aluminum T shaped ones and good acc. cord for tie downs.

15. styles

styles The untrained eye

[​IMG]

I think you'll find it fairly easy as long as you have the right luggage/mounts/straps (Rok straps are AWESOME). I did a month and a half on a GSX-R600 (pictured) and a little over two weeks on an SV650. Carried a tent (Kelty, at least a 2 person tent as everyone has recommended), sleeping pad, travel pillow, etc.

I kept all of my gear in my tent with me at night so if you plan to do that, weigh how much gear you have into whether you buy a 2 or 3 person tent.

Good sleeping pad is essential and consider a liner for your sleeping bag for those chilly nights.

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Took a little Moto/truck camping trip this past weekend. Picked up a new tent I was anxious to try out. Sierra Designs Flash 3 tent. It's a 3 person tent so it's nice and roomy for one person. Entry doors on each side plus a vestibule on each end. The rain fly is part of the tent and super easy to put up. All aluminum poles. It's literally up in 5 minutes. Weighs 6 lbs roughly. Doesn't pack down super small like the two person tents but manageable if I were on a bike besides the one pictured lol.

Ventilation was nice in it. The vestibule flaps on either end will roll up to the top adding more ventilation. It didn't rain any on the 4 day trip so I can't say anything about water proofing but knowing it's a Sierra Designs tent I'm pretty sure it's leak proof.

[​IMG]

gt#179 likes this.
  17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Roughing it is a motel with no bar.

Scotty87, rd49 and caferace like this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version