Which workout to do next ?

Discussion in 'General' started by AJ, May 8, 2014.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Khalipa and Froning are ridiculous athletes, but crossfitters don't do themselves any favors when they roll them out as proof of concept.

They are the elite in the world. Most of us have nothing in common with them, and we all know that their training extends far beyond crossfit workouts.

It's also ridiculous to say they're not among the most well-rounded. Don't lift enough? The games workouts are not about big weight, but those guys are unbelievably strong.

See what you did? I was trying to stay neutral, and you pulled the loyal devotee right out of me.:D

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

who needs a forklift!

I am only in the high 280s at that bf. I am trying to get to that bf percentage at 300. it isnt easy.

Jay and ronnie dont go over 7-8 percent even when they are bulking at 320lbs!

What crossfit game had a tree climbing, not a rope, but a tree climbing...or do you expect there to be a rope handy right at that moment, hunger games style? :D

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

what is unbelievably strong to them is warmup to others. ;)

I have seen Kalipha try powerlifting...it was funny.

how are they well rounded? being well rounded means that you have to take hand to eye coordination, and god given abilites (speed, vertial, vmax) into consideration. crossfit games dont. That is what being an athlete is about....they are not athletes...the do what athletes do in the off season and made a game out of it.

loyal devotee or cultish? :D

4. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

If you can climb a rope, you can climb a tree.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    :D

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

hell if you can.
    my parents used to make me climb trees to get coconuts.
    not even the same as climbing ropes.

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Lol! I know this: when I was moving furniture I had a slew of guys from local gyms come and work on my truck. Big guys, lifted absurd weight at the gym. Those were the worst workers ever, absolutely useless. Nothing I've ever done was that rounded of a work out. Every conceivable size/weight piece of furniture in every type of environment you could think of. Upstairs, downstairs, up balconies when shit didn't fit. And running, shit loads and shit loads of running. Pressing above your head, squatting, twisting, bending. I kinda miss it :eek:

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:crackup::crackup:

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ya...i remember you telling me that. :D

now try the same with the crossfit guys...they will try to just throw the shit up in the air really really fast. and see how many couch cushions they can lift in 40 seconds....then they will ask you to post a furniture lifting WOD on a blog somewhere.

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Your big ass couldn't climb a tree!! Bears can't climb trees!!

I keep ropes handy. :D

And don't get it twisted either. Bodybuilders are not athletes. Football players are athletes, track runners are athletes, hell I'll go as far as to say baseball players are athletes. Not Bodybuilders.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No Paleo for me. That's retarded.

You're right, 225 would be a small linebacker. Just saying he's a solid guy, and you said 180.:D

You're wrong. If I could instantly have 50 more pounds of muscle overnight, I wouldn't want it. Big muscles don't appeal to me. I know that's hard for you to believe, but it's true. I understand how difficult it is, and I respect the discipline, but I don't want it.

Last hydrostatic check was just under 9%. My scale says ~6%, but I don't believe it.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

bodybuilders are not athletes. that is for sure.

neither are crossfitters.

12. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I was 220 as a freshman in college...around 10 percent bodyfat.
    I guess i was as built (and much more athletic) as an adult crossfitter at the age of 17. :D

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

More so than Bodybuilders.

See above Bear comment... But that doesn't bode well for the stats. That means 60lbs of muscle in how many years now?!?!?! :D

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Could you snatch 315? The 225 pounder in question can.

Again, it's relative and all about your goals.

The owner of the gym I attend is an 1800lb powerlifter, and strongman competitor. He trains a lot of powerlifters and bodybuilders next door, so they come over for workouts from time to time. It's funny to watch guys who squat 800lbs try to do squat-cleans and snatches.

We have a guy with a 710# bench and 830# squat. I watched him fail at a 95# snatch over and over again. He just doesn't have the balance and mobility. Does it mean he's not a strong guy? Absolutely not, just has a different skill set...

I respect everybody's discipline, and choose the one that suits me... and I LOVE kool-aid!:D

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm too busy to read all of this manlovefest but, my general understanding of the crossfit idea was to increase Practical Fitness. I think they've gotten away from that somewhat but it's still in there somewhere. Bodybuilding, running, cycling, powerlifting, etc are all very specialized sports. Focusing on one means you're going to be giving up something that may prove very useful during the rest of your day.

If you think of it like motorcycles, my goal is to be at GSX-R750 levels of fitness. I don't want to be so big and strong (bodybuilder/powerlifter) that I'm worthless as an athlete and have to wear those stupid pants (turbocharged Busa). I don't want to be so efficient/lean that I can't do anything but run away (scooter and/or 125 gp bike).

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I supposed they "could" be done but in my experience, you need some weight (usually around your body weight) for deadlifts to be effective. Anything less and it's too easy to cheat/lose form.

The idea is simple though. Pretty much every muscle as an opposing muscle. Your bicep closes your elbow joint, your tricep opens it. Your abs close up your trunk, your lower back opens it. Your quad opens your knee, your hamstring closes it.

Workouts like P90x and Insanity, because you're working mainly with bodyweight and the floor. They also focus on "beach muscles", the muscles you can see when you look in the mirror - pecs, biceps, triceps, and abs. What happens is you end up with a strong front and a weak back, with your shoulders slumping forward and your hips/back out of alignment. You need to do the heavy pulling exercises like deadlift, cleans, rows, and squats to build up the backside of your body and bring balance back to the force:D

17. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

staples of fitness that have stood the test of time and will continue to bring em back and actually maintain a loyal following forever..cycling, running, weight lifting, swimming...

fads, to be different for the sake of being different I guess, as if swimming, cycling, running and weight lifting are BELOW them or something. If talking to the average cross fit snob, you'd think they actually thought that.

wanna get cut, eat less bullshit. everyone would be in a lot better place cutting all soda, processed, fast food, sat fats. 5-6% bruce lee shredded is a nazi strict diet, ask a bodybuilder

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Huh??

The rest of the stuff he said is correct... But the crossfit part? Snobs? The point of it is constantly varied.

Wrap your head around what I did yesterday.

5 rounds of..

50 cal on a bike 2:15 pace AirDyne bike
    20 DB snatches (right arm)
    100 sprint
    20 DB Snatches (left arm)
    500 meter 1:50 pace
    20 Sit ups

Although I wouldn't call that "weight lifting" but you could always sub the dumbell snatches for something that was more isolated or even more compound of a movement.

Take what you "LOOK" like out of it as opposed to what you can DO and you will see a more clear picture.

EDIT: I can't spell lol

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:up:

20. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Puny human.

Your pathetic Crossfit powers are no match for The Sheik.