1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine ice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by skee, Oct 27, 2013.

1. skee

skee # 358

Is it safe to leave Engine Ice in the bike over the winter?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

yes to -26F

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which is why it's not legal for WERA on the track :D

4. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

But it is legal everywhere else?

Mongo, I understand rules are rules, but why is WERA the last lone hold out on the Engine Ice thing?

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Use DI-H20 also.......has a lower boiling point and is cleaner

6. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

because even engine ice is still slippery as shit and still hard to clean up

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

WERA isn't, LRRS doesn't allow it either.

8. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Shit I just switched mine to water wetter and distilled, how much better is DI?

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Pretty sure Peak All Makes n Models is the same thing. Its the glycol that won't poison a dog.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Not allowed up here in Canada either. Does the AMA still allow it? I thought I read somewhere that a buddies, cousins, sisters friend heard it wasn't anymore.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I believe the latter is the larger concern. Straight distilled water on the track is slick enough to put you on your head if you're charging in assuming the track will be dry...

It just cleans up a lot easier.

12. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

Distilled water will steal metal from your radiator and engine to replace all those neat things, elements, to try to get back to it's natural state. Water Wetter is good tho.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

NESBA advanced did't allow Engine Ice either in the advanced group. Not sure if N2 kept that rule, but I suspect that they did.

Liquid Performance is another option to Water Wetter, but like WW it provides no freeze protection.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't get why the other orgs allow something that is that slippery and much more likely to get on the track surface than oil. Oil is a necessity in a motorcycle. Glycol based coolants are most definitely not.

FWIW - we did allow it. We wasted time cleaning it up, we red flagged endurance races to clean it up. All things that wouldn't have happened with water and the number of additives we do allow. Luckily we never had a rider crash in it but I saw no reason to wait for that to happen.

I know it sucks having to drain for the winter and cold events and the like but all of that effort is worth it to avoid crashes.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

which natural state is that?

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i read an article recently that supports that Brian. They stated you are better off running bottled drinking water but not distilled for the reason you are saying.. the distilled water, not having any minerals, will search for something as a chemical reaction. The available aluminum is what it takes, and you can end up with bad radiators and the like if you are not running anti-corrosion additives.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. I'd rather have to clean excess minerals out of a radiator on occasion than lose part of the radiator to a chemical reaction.

18. Pilotx1

water in its natural state contains dissolved minerals and ions, when it is stripped of all that it actually becomes more agressive in leaching that from its surroundings, in an engine it takes aluminum, over time and with the constant agitation from flowing the aluminum is constantly stripped of its protective oxide coat by DI water slowy dissolving the metal, not a big deal in the engine block but the radiator is far far thinner and thus will fail sooner.

19. Pilotx1

whatever you do do not use distilled water with the royal purple purple ice stuff
    [​IMG]

for whatever reason it turns quite caustic, i put it in my streetbike and within a couple months it cost me a radiator, when i pulled it all apart to replace there were chunks of a white powdery substance in my cooling system I assume it was aluminum oxide. when i took the radiator to a shop they told me it wasnt repairable the whole thing had been dissolved from the inside.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Interesting, wouldn't have expected that but they even say on their site to not use distilled or de-ionized if doing a straight mix.