Ducati back in AMA SBK

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Actually I was wondering. I just figured it was the all too common "over promising, under delivering" (i.e. somebody went broke) scenario.

Sweet.

2. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

No we have not been in contact with Jon, just Ducati Corse. willing to talk to anyone though!

3. akillya

Broken hearted but still in the black!

4. akillya

Broken hearted but still in the black! Lots of pictures of the bikes on our instagram site @tplracing

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Good luck in bringing Jake back onto the grid!

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sent you a PM.

7. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

Good luck guys! It will be awesome to see Jake and a Ducati back on the grid!!

8. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

Best Luck!!
    tim

9. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

Longevity Racing (Barrett Long) is also running the 1199, as far as I know.

10. :stupid:

People see the lack of results in MotoGP, or the restricted WSBK machine and assume the Panigale isn't a solid platform. That couldnt be further from the truth. When the bikes are raced in a form much closer to stock, the Panigale is the only bike that has been able to run at the front of the WSTK grid along with the ZX-10 and BMW.

As you know WSTK is a much better judge of a bike's raw (OEM) performance, because they are so close to stock form. The Panigale is a very capable machine. It is much lighter, makes much more power, has better electronics and more race spec components (brakes, wheels, etc) than the Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha. Hence it being the only bike that can run with the BMW and ZX in SSTK trim.

11. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Best of luck getting sorted. See you Road America!

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What about Shane Turpin and crew at Boulder Motorsports. The group sems to have a pretty good idea of how to get the bike rolling.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.... They were smoking at the AHRMA event last year.... That bike friggin flew....:up:

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I like his attitude too. "I'm doing it because I want to."

In my mind, this attitude will be essential to the survival of motorcycle racing in the USA. Sponsors are going to drop like flies if the series shrinks, and the TV deals don't materialize.

it's nice to see that somebody still wants to (spend the money to) race in spite of that.

15. akillya

Agreed those guys have put together a really nice package with what I am told is basically a stock 1199S engine. Kudos!

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Check out the article in RRW from February I think. CU did a really nice write up on the whole package.

That and Shane has a youtube video posted of his race at the AHRMA vintage round with some amazing times.

17. akillya

I saw that write up in RRW and though I was impressed with the story I kind of wished that they would have let Shane ride the bike too. I felt that the lap times seemed a little slow for what I saw the bike perform like at Daytona in Oct. Holden tested a bone stock 1199S at Chuckwalla with Ohlin's race suspension installed and ran basically the same times. I am not suggest Chris is slow I am just saying either Ducati's work for you or they don't.

18. JonS

JonS Member

The stuff on the boulder bike is magneti marelli. The bike I built in seattle for jake to ride at Portland was a stock S that I modified the chassis setup/ geometry on and changed all the throttle, engine braking, fuel, ignition, and several other parameters on the stock ecu. I don't know the exact issues you are having, but if I can help in any way I would be glad to. -Jon

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Was that Checa's Electronics that he had at Barber? I heard that that weekend and am still curious....

20. akillya

Thanks Jon, the revised Ducati Corse ECU and software arrived to the shop yesterday so once we get through a 848EVO delivery we will be on it! Will advise!

I knew the Boulder bike had the Magneti system developed by Bike Sport Improvements in the UK and distributed by Boulder in the USA. Looks top notch! If I hadn't bought the Corse system in 2012 that would have been my choice. Looking forward its good to work with Ducati on their system. Building some bridges!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014