RV generators

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Mar 24, 2014.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I am looking into picking up a 27 ft. toy hauler. They don't have generators in them at the dealership so I would need to ad one. Question is...Would you go with something like an Onan or Cummins that is mounted in the hauler or pick up a Honda/Yamaha inverter for the flexibility it offers? Also how many watts would you suggest?

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Portable Honda 3000 will be thousands less than adding an Onan I bet. Guess it is a question of if you think that's enough power. Our old 3000 did everything we needed; AC, microwave, etc. If you're running 2 AC's and a couple sets of warmers then it's a whole different story.
    I have a 5500 Onan now but would not pay the extra $ for the genset in the future as we don't even use it that much.

3. omatter34

That's what I am seeing as well. Could even get a yamaha 4500 if needed for the extra power. Think I remember there being somebody on the forum that sold those as well. Broome may have said that Kraft had one that he got from one of his sponsors if I recall correctly. If anybody knows the answer to this as well I would appreciate it.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i bought a nice 27' 2013 xlr hyperlite. it came with a 4000 onan generator.. located right under the bed .. really hard to sleep with that thing running right under there. luckily most of our harescrambles are in the "cooler" fl months, so i don't run it at night. it also makes more noise in the rv. I put a bunch of old pillows around the compartment under the bed (not inside the generator cabinet itself) and that helped some. The onbord generators are about $4000 for the 4000 . The 5500 that runs at a lower rpm, and is a bit quieter due to that, i'm sure is more. You can buy a honda EU 3000 for under 3000$ and it will run the AC but you would have to turn off the ac to run the microwave to. a eu6500 is about $3700 i think, but would do both.

Only drawback is you have to wheel it out the back each time, but you can get a remote start for them for $99. I am seriously consdiering getting a 3000 just for my toyhauler even though it has the onboard onan. Other thing about the onboard gen, is you wanna get some sort of exhaust duct to put the fumes up and over the rv. It never fails that the prevailing breeze is heading right toward the awning side where you are sitting and watching the tv outside getting c02 poisoning . I got a long section of aluminum flexible dryer vent and hook it on the roof gutter. Portable you can just drag further away..

on the plus side, it is really nice having the extra room in the back (only 8x9 garage) and having the 30gal gas tank on board so you can just hit a button and get the AC on to cool things down, and run most of what you want. Only bummer i find it noise in the front bedroom, but i have a full size queen bed that comes down in the back. added nice mattress toppers to both so the beds are pretty comfy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. omatter34

Thanks Greg

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Is that remote start wireless? Because for the 6500 I'm only seeing them for $180.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Onboard generator all the way. It was a requirement for me when I was shopping. I also wouldn't settle for anything less than the Onan 5500 (Most popular one). I've done a ton of toy hauler shopping before buying. And at the end of the day, only you know what's best for you regarding your budget, needs, and wants. Fuck everyone else, it's just their opinion. So, here is my non-biased questions to ask yourself, or think about:

-Do you want a generator that takes up valuable garage space
    -Do you mind loading, and unloading a generator as part of your set up process? Or do you want to hit a button and have the generator run? Most garages are only 10'. They fill up quickly with only 2 bikes. Floor space is a premium...
    -A LOT of toy haulers with on board gennys have fuel stations. Do you want a fuel station?
    -I've never seen anyone say their generator made too much power.
    -An Onan 5500 gold series (Most popular seen in bigger toy haulers) only use .9 gallon/hour at max load. How much does a 3000, or 4000 one use at full load? Probably not that much different.
    -Onboard 4000watt generator is going to have a 30 amp plug
    -Onboard 5500wat is going to be 50amp. 50amp cords are bulky, and a royal bitch to move around/ wind up when its cold out (Found this out recently). But, if you're not going to use all that power, you can just get a 50amp to 30 adapter.
    -The generators are all listed at their max watts. It's not a sustained number. Much like the Honda EU2000 is only rated for a continuous 1800 or something like that.
    -A/C uses a fuck ton of energy to operate. How big is the A/C unit? How many sets of warmers are you going to use? You can see the problem coming...
    -On board gennys help tremendously with resale value down the road.

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's going to vary from person to person, but I'm one of those weirdos that fall asleep in like 2 seconds with the sound of A/C or a fan buzzing. The Onan 5500's hum puts me to sleep just as easy. Some don't like any noise at all when sleeping, and I could most definitely see that bugging people. I like the genny noise. It blocks out the sporadic noise of pit bikes/diesel trucks/etc through the pits at night.

Well, maybe I have an exhaust leak and it's the carbon monoxide that does the job, but I've been waking up every time...so far. :D

9. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

That is a good last point, youll never lose money on reselling an Onan generator. A quality gen holds its value forever. I have an onboard 5500 and a Honda 2000, you can never have to much power. When I had a toyhauler with the gen mounted under the bed (such a dumb spot) I didnt have any issues sleeping with noise.

10. MELK-MAN

yes, and to be fair i can't remember if it was $99 or $199 but got off ebay, but is a genuine honda part. plugs right in on the eu6500 in the front and +- battery wires .. done. I had watch a video of some guy doing some 1/2 a day instal of the remote start, but turns out it's crazy easy to instal.

[​IMG]

11. MELK-MAN

i wish my 4000 onan ran at the low rpm and rumble of the 5500 onan. sadly it runs at a higher rpm. I agree, the 5500 is not that bad, but isn't what comes on smaller toyhaulers, especially bumper tow type.

ah.. and good point about having an eu2000. i bring it and just run that for the dtv and an outside fan, or a small fan in the rv if ya like a little breeze on ya without having to run the big onboard type.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  12. MELK-MAN

ah.. and good point about having an eu2000. i bring it and just run that for the dtv and an outside fan, or a small fan in the rv if ya like a little breeze on ya without having to run the big onboard type.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yup that looks like the one I've seen going for $189 (not from ebay). It is what I plan on getting for those times I sleep in my cargo trailer.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

50amp 220v or 50amp 120v? One is a 6 gauge wire. One is a 10 gauge wire.

I ask because my Honda EU6500 has a 30amp 240v plug. It provides ~23amps per 120v lead and it only uses 10 gauge wire.

15. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

RV's are all 120V, it is 50AMps, split into 2 legs, usually the 30AMP circuit runs a single AC + the other RV Stuff (Microwave, Converter, Fridge, etc..) and the 2nd 20 Amp leg powers a second AC.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So to be technical....

The Onan 5500 generator uses 2 30amp breakers to provide its 45.8 amps. (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/specsheets/a-1425.pdf)

What this means is it has two coils which each coil providing 22.9amps at 120v. From there to get a 240v generator it is just packaging.

So you only need 12 gauge wire to cover that amperage with 10 gauge giving you the extra length you might need for reaching the outlet.

So it isn't 50amps at 120v. It is 30amps at 240v.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep but the comments about bulky shore lines still holds true if you've got a 50amp input. I personally don't care, I prefer having a lot of power :D

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well the bonus of having an onboard genny is never forgetting to pack it! :D

A venturi exhaust is highly recommended. If you want to scale power... you cant beat the EUs or EFs. You can put out 30amps with either & the extended run tanks are really nice too.

19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I've got this one...

http://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF4500iSE-p/EF4500iSE.htm?gclid=CIH8y7Lwq70CFSqXOgodCS4AwA

Yamaha 4500ie. I've had it for 4 seasons, ran the whole rv, including a/c and tire warmers. My rv didn't have a spot for an onboard generator, and honestly, I'm glad it didn't as I've used this generator for much more than the rv. I can use it for emergency power at the house to run the basics (furnace, fridge, couple light) if needed. It's quiet and has run whatever I've needed at the track.

20. racerdude413

racerdude413 Well-Known Member

I have 2 comments

- Its nice to have a generator when you don't use the Toy Hauler
    - my onan 4000 sat all winter and would not start in the spring, had to take the generator out of the Toy Hauler to bring it for repairs (after i tried to figure it out myself and failed) , takes a good hour to take it out if you need to have it serviced...