1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMG's Version Of AMA Pro Racing, 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by drybreak, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Spot on Mr.Kling. Talking with John U. one day I learned that at one time it was not unusual to have 16,17, 18year old`s and up racing 250cc bikes. Yes that was the two-stroke era but the principles still apply. While reading on-line a few weeks ago I read somewhere.. AMA, RRW, or FB that there was a meeting to be held during or just before Daytona. There were no details discussed just the announcement of the meeting.
    The players invited to the table were the big three and KTM and few names.. wish I could find it again. I was simply guessing as to the topic and optimistically reading between the lines of the announcement. My hopes are still and always will be for a GP chassis machine spec or at least interesting weight and power, displacement rules. Minimum I would like to see all brands able to race not just one brand of bike. Hoping for the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Oh suck it.

3. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

They should be coupled. I never implied they shouldn't. You are reading things that aren't there. If an old guy like you thinks he can beat the youngsters then let him have a go. Good luck with that...

4. K Kling

Meh, he's just a troll who likes to argue. My kids are adolescent these days, but I still remember what it's like listening to a 3 year old whine and argue. I'll just try to ignore him until he finds somewhere else to be annoying.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kids have always run local clubs them up to pro/am then up to Pro. Why should that change? Why should they be running pro in a LW class? Talk about the 250's in the past doesn't work since at the time they were faster than the 600's so it's not like the kids were racing a slower machine, properly ridden 250's were close to Superbike times depending on the track.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

First. I'm not old.

Second. It shouldn't be coupled. It is not a good idea to couple things when your audience is very small.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

WoW! :crackup:

8. K Kling

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

:wow::Putter:

10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

I also 100% agree and look forward to seeing what is in store.

Now, can we start talking about how an "entry level bike" (i.e. the CBR500) isn't a proper race bike and will actually hurt rider development? Because I would hate to think anything other than a full GP chassis fire-breathing monster would benefit an aspiring road racer...:Poke::Pop:

11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

There might be some old CRT bikes around. Maybe we could get a class for those.

12. smrrc

smrrc Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but I think all this talk about giving kids an entry level class in AMA ain't gonna happen unless they're 16 or older. After Peter and Torino's deaths (RIP) that ship has long sailed.

Now if JU's series takes off and the series develops then you might be talking. IMHO of course

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would be fine with my kid running something smaller than a 600 at the age of 16. I think the option of running a lightweight at the national level could bring us more in line with the rest of the world. The cost savings might also allow more of our kids to show the country what they have.

14. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this Kerry?

15. smrrc

smrrc Well-Known Member

I like your thinking and I wish there was a smaller displacement class for my kid when she turned pro, it only makes sense really. That's why in 09 she tried out and made the Rookies cup but alas, the rest is. I really like this idea of John's pro-am series (with much respect to the cooperative racing orgs) as it allows just that...exposure for youth riders without breaking the bank. I really hope it takes off as I'm sure lots of aspiring riders and their families do as well

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Another 100% agree there too. Like Kerry said, just because they can run a 600 at 16 doesn't mean they should. It's just that right now, that is the only option in AMA Pro. Thankfully, WERA offers more.

17. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Why should any kid under 16 be allowed to run at the Pro level?

18. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

At the riders meeting at Roebling...

edit - at that time they were working on pulling it together. Don't know of a final/official announcement.

I like the idea of a lightweight pro class also.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  19. K Kling

Yep. At the CCS Riders meeting. They said they will have some rules out soon.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  20. K Kling

That's not what he is saying. It is appealing to have a spec LW class for the 16year olds to run in.