1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford F250 Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by jboyd12, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Remote start doesn't work at -15? That sucks.

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My 6.0 starts cold much better than the 7.3

We did literally have a guy spray sparting fluid in the 7.3 one cold morning when he forgot to plug it in.

Completely exploded the air filter housing into pieces. We bought a K & N after that just cause we didn't have to buy all that plastic shit he blew up from Ford.

Lately I have been thinking about getting one of those new Rams with the Fiat Diesel in it.

I don't have a 40' trailer or anything. Just a 14' with a bunch of gear in it. Maybe 4-5K pounds in there.

I did replace a block heater element in the 7.3 that went bad a few years back.

Thing would barely start once below 10 degrees.

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Yeah, I don't know why. It tries three times. You would think it's the same as turning the key to send power to the solenoid but I wonder if there's some safety feature that won't allow the starter to crank for too long.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would make sense.

5. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I owned one for many years, and I highly recommend you get something other than a 6.0. Transmission, turbo, oil cooler, and many other expensive and badly timed failures are in your future if you ignore this advice.

To wit:
    http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p=4287935&postcount=23

http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p=4288007&postcount=26

6. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Ive owned the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4. They were all reasonable trucks with no major issues. I now have a 2013 Duramax. Its the best damn truck Ive ever owned. I just got back from Texas pulling a 20k, 40 foot horse trailer. 75-80mph.....no problem! Best of luck either way!

7. earacing

earacing Race Dad

You haven't lived until you've had to pull over on the side of the highway with oil bubbling out of your radiator on the way to a race event in the middle of the night with all your tools and bikes in the back.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Past month? You mean the last 6 days! :p

>$800

Of chassis components. :Poke: :Poke:

9. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

You still plow?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

At 315k miles? :Poke: :moon:

Yeah, the ol' gal wasn't pleased at being awoken from her weekend's slumber, but she hardened the f@ck up & got 'er done! :up:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't keep mine for that long, my vehicle needs tend to change so I move on to a better vehicle for the current needs/wants. I think the most I've put on anything is 60k or so. Some of the used stuff I've bought has gotten a little higher.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Moot point.

You replace tie rods, balljoints, etc. on any truck if you own it long enough.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. And $800 is pretty much two months truck payment with a great rate and a bunch down on it :D

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Two months? That was my monthly on that thing when I bought it. 11 years ago! :wow:

But yeah, I'll gladly drop a couple $k a year into for repairs & maintenance, I know the truck inside-out and dammit, I love the ol' girl! :D

15. No doubt. To me, that is the whole purpose for remote start. If I gotta go out in the damn cold to start the truck, then what is the use? Never been in -15deg but mine starts fine at 0deg. I don't even have to get out of bed to start it. :D

16. :stupid:

This diesel is approaching the longest I have ever owned a vehicle and I bought it new the summer of 2011. Sorta like motorcycles, I get bored with them after a lil while and need a new one.

But I will probably always keep this one because of what it can do. I might get something else as a daily driver and keep this truck just for towing shit. I like diesels, so im thinking about getting one of the Denali-HD's for daily driving, but it will be a pure poser truck because the old one will be used for towing shit. :D

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oops, sorry Putterbutt, missed this post.

Little bit. Cut way back since the kidlet came along.