1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Antonio, Tx

Discussion in 'General' started by jnjdad, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jnjdad

jnjdad Well-Known Member

The gf and I are headed to San Antonio Texas for a short Sat thru Wed vacation. We plan on the River Walk and Alamo. Thought we might try to go to Corpus Christie. Any suggestion or must do's?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Hold on, You planned a trip to San Antonio and you didn't do it around GP time. You do realize that Austin isn't that far from San Antonio right? I say you failed.:Poke:

3. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

The old mission's tour is cool, go to the old market square.you can rent bicycle's and see all of the missions.the trolley is cheap way around town if you don't want to walk.very friendly place to vist.

4. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Riverwalk will take 30 minutes, same for the Alamo.
    Some great restraunt' are at the old Pearl Brewery. You can stay around there if you are a pretentious hipster posuer. :)

Just south of the Alamo on Alamo St are some art galleries and cool bars. Probably 6-8 block walk.

Schilo's Deli right near the Riverwalk is awesome and they have some great homemade rootbeer. I think it is the oldest restraunt in TX. The roobeer alone is worth the trip.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

If you've got a bike with you, or a fun rental car, the roads in The Hill Country are a ball on weekdays.

6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

The Riverwalk has some cool shops and restaurants, but its a stinky, fudgy cesspool. Don't fall in or you'll get Hepatitis. Same goes for Corpus Christi. An odoriferous calamity with brown, foamy Gulf water. South Padre has a much better beach, if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

While at the Alamo, make sure to see the basement.

8. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

Make sure you go to Rudy's BBQ the best in San Antonio and they do have a Seaworld

9. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

The Cove
    Dough Pizzeria

10. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

Rudy's is great; have a beer from the ice bin while waiting to order. La Gloria, down in the brewery area, for Mexican. Excellent.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Don't forget to pee on the Alamo door:up:

12. jnjdad

jnjdad Well-Known Member

Date was set when kids are gone on spring break, but had I noticed, catching the MotoGp would have been epic. We will probably rent a car to get around. What's the pee on Alamo door thing? Don't get that one.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Ozzy was there years ago for a concert, was drunk and had to pee, so he peed outside of the Alamo, the Texans didn't care for that much. He was arrested, and I believe he was banished from Texas.

My FIL lives outside San Antonio, it is a great city, very friendly people, and some of the best mexican food you'll ever find. I liked it MUCH better than Dallas.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The only Texas city worse than Dallass is Humidiston! IMNSHO, of course.

15. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

:stupid: The tableside guacomole is worth the extra. I learned more about making it well from that 5 minutes than anything else.

16. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Go ride in Hill Country, hit the three sisters route, twisted sisters route or whatever it is called and enjoy the twists and turns and hills and valleys and very little traffic. A must do if you haven't before.

17. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

On the Riverwalk, have a drink at Dirty Dick's... Oh wait, maybe not with your gf, last time I was there a cute waitress walked up to me and stuck her tongue down my throat..! :)
    Ron

18. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Stayed at the Hotel Valencia this past Friday night. Went to the Spurs game then walked around through the River Walk and hit some bars with the wife after. Thankfully, it was post Mardi Gras bullshit. However, I can see if you're with a group of friends it could be a good time. Rather be in Austin and not feel like you're in tourist hell.

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

hit up the hill country.

stop at any hole in the wall mexican joint that you see.
    get some fresh coconut juice.
    stop at any hole in the wall bbq joint (better in the hill country) that you see.
    dont spend more than an hour on the riverwalk
    dont spend more than an hour at Ft. Tourist. (the alamo)

20. jnjdad

jnjdad Well-Known Member

Tourist areas are ok to see, but I like finding local dining. I try to never eat chain restaurants when out, I can eat that anytime. Sounds like we will have to add the Hill Country to the list.