1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restaurant Replaces Waitresses With Tablets

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

2. ped

ped Banned

pretty soon there will be no one left that can afford to eat at their business'

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Unless they also plan to install conveyor belts for each table I'm not really certain how this eliminates waitresses :confused:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh, when the system goes down, you still have to have customer compatible liveware. They have this system at a local Ghengis Grill. I've been twice and the system was not operating either time. Maybe it was developed by CGI.

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The worst is still the self-checkouts used by certain stores.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Wait staff usually don't get paid minimum wage anyway if they get tips.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

There's still the old tried and true method of having customers go to the counter, ordering what they want, then going to pick it up when their number is called. Woo Hoo! No tip required.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My grocery is going back to check out people (union at that) because people hated those things. Still have 'em and also offer those scanner things you can carry with you but they are much happier and spend more with live check out peeps.

I HATE dealing with stupid people but, give me a live person to scan and bag my shit.

Oh yeah, the one lady who does check out is pulling SERIOUS money. Hovering close to 6 figures. :up:

9. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Even without reading the article I have no problem believing that. I avoid them unless I only have one or two items and all other options have lines. They are a pain in the butt. At least 50% of the time, I end up with something that doesn't scan or requires the monitor to get involved.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Well, it seems they are just trying to get a leg up on the $15/hr. minimum wage.

I wonder if the same folks that want automated cars and equality/re-distribution would object to technology applied in the workplace, in this manner?

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Sounds somewhat similar to a chain here in Utah that has phones at each table.
    When you all know what you want, you pick up the phone and give your order. When the order is ready, the phone buzzes and you go to the main counter to pay and pick up your food.
    No wait staff to deal with at all.

13. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

The local Chilis has has something similar for at least a year. You can order with the thing and pay the bill. This is great for lunches as it seeme that you get served quicker and I like being able to pay from the table.

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Applebee's is terrible anyways. It wont be the tablets ruining their business, it's the food

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: even worse is when the store still employs an employee to stand there with you and assist you with your self checkout :confused:

Um, pretty sure I can do this on my own. :crackup:

16. Ryan636

Ryan636 Well-Known Member

:FL:

The self-checkouts only suck when the technologically incompetent old curmudgeons jam them up. The self check out at Sam's Club saves me a ton of time since they don't bag anyways and I never have more than 10 items.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

You can thank thieves for that.

18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The funniest thing I've ever seen was an old woman (at least 65) getting all flustered about the self-scan not picking up her items when she scanned them. She then proceeded to start jamming things in the bag instead of scanning them! She probably walked off with over 25-30 dollars of items. :crackup:

19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

They have that system, or at least one very similar, at Red Robin. Works pretty good. Someone still comes to your table to take your order, bring you your food, and check on you throughout the meal. However, any time after you are seated, if you want to put your appetizer order in through the tablet, you can. When your drink needs refilled, hit the button and they bring it. I think you can also place dessert orders.
    You can check out at the table if paying by cc. They also had games/puzzles on the device where they charge $1 for unlimited play.
    Just a matter of time until this technology is on your phone....if it isn't there already.

20. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

my experience with the do-it-yourself/automated checkout machines:

1st item: boop -bagged
    2nd item: boop -bagged
    3rd item thru 2nd to last item: boop -bagged
    last item: errrnt, rescan, errrnt, rescan, errrnt, rescan

<on screen message>: "please wait for assistance"

:mad: 99% of the time it's quicker to let the pimply kid or the blue hair scan and bag it for me.