1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet with keyboard

Discussion in 'General' started by rafa, Dec 5, 2013.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

So ive been looking at getting something like that.

I do have a pretty mean lap top which i use for everything, but it is big, heavy and low battery life. I would like to keep it in my desk.

Looking for a tablet to take to class, to watch videos and of course navigate the forum, but i want something with a keyboard.

One that seems like a good bang for the buck is the Asus TF300.
    Never owned anything with a Android OS so i dont know how that goes.

I hate windows 8, but is it any good for tablets?

What else on the market around that price would be good too?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

id rather carry around an 11" Macbook Air than an iPad and a keyboard.

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Why would you guys do prefer those?

I mean, for the use i will have, processing power isnt really that important.

Right now ive been using an Asus notebook, big screen, enough power to run CAD programs and what now, its just a little too big to carry around, and it takes almost all of the desk i have in y classes.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Because if you are buying a tablet with a keyboard you are essentially buying a notebook. Tablets are not a replacement for....they are in addition to your main computing devices. I have a couple...they make great TV remotes, email reading, minor web surfing and Youtube consumption devices. I still prefer to use my notebook for most things.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I understand that.

When i meant table with keyboard i meant one in which you can attach and remove a keyboard.

I am with you, my laptop is much better than any tablet ive been looking, and im not trying to replace it.

But i dont need all it has to offer to take notes in class and post here at the beebs.

7. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Just bought an Asus T100... runs full W8 and was only 299 with a keyboard. Should get it Monday.

8. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

I think any of the tablets that have a USB port you can plug in a USB keyboard. some dont accept (have drivers) USB hubs though so you might need one with more than one USB port.

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Bluetooth keyboard not an option?

10. GA_SVS

GA_SVS Define "normal"

Have a Thinkpad Tablet 2 with a MiniSuit case but a touch pad is sorely missed on that keyboard.

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Blue tooth, USB anything is valid.

Im just looking for options right now.

GA_SVS how do you like the Thinkpad though, besides no touch pad?

12. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

Pretty much every tablet has what you're asking about. They make BT ones for ipads, galaxy tabs, sony tabs, etc. Choose whatever tablet you like and buy a BT keyboard (you can choose one that is a case/keyboard combo or just totally separate). All that being said, that workspace sucks. Nowhere near as useful a an ultrabook

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

the laptop evolved into a tablet now everyone wants a keyboard... isn't that called a laptop?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get a tablet you like and a small bt keyboard for the times you need to type more. No need to plug one in, no need to have a touchpad when the whole screen is touch enabled.

15. notbostrom

just don't plan on using the keyboard or mouse on an airplane.... had a bitchy flight attendant bring me the rulebook and wireless or bluetooth are banned during flight

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure what airline but bluetooth is not banned on Delta. Been using BT headsets for years. They're also allowing tablets and phones in airplane mode gate to gate finally.

17. GA_SVS

GA_SVS Define "normal"

It's ok - kinda on the slow side but it runs W8 Pro and I installed many of my regular desktop apps wanting to have an ultra portable that is actually worth my while to carry. Probably not exactly what that was designed to do but it is what I need a device to do for work.

As far as a tablet, the screen is super clear, touch sensitivity is great, battery life good and it has USB ;) so can't complain about the device itself, really...

18. notbostrom

It's not the airlines its TSA FAA. I didn't believe them either till I got home and read up on it. BT and anything wireless are banned. Just a matter of if the airline wants to enforce it.

19. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

i love my asus infiity tablet w/ keyboard dock.
    it was great for class this past summer for taking notes and writing reports. I use it mainly for web surfing and watching videos though.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FAA handles the on plane stuff not TSA. Either way I've never been told no BT and it is absolutely part of the new regulations leaving it up to the airlines. They aren't banned any longer (fwiw the new regs have been in effect only for a month or so).

The wireless stuff can't be banned and hasn't been banned no matter what the attendant told you - otherwise airlines could not have wifi :D