1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

skiing in the Northeast

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Would Lake Placid be too much out of the way? Anything decent in Upstate NY west of Lake Champlain?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There's some "okay" places up in the Poconos that are closer to you. Not Vermont good or close to out west but pretty okay for a weekend.

I forget the place I went to up in lake placid area (whiteface I think) and I remember it being okay enough. That was a long time ago.

You could go ski up Vernon Vally in Joisey but I'd wait until summer and hit Accident (Action) Park. :crackup:

3. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I like Killington - its bigger than most mountains in the area (VT, NH, ME). good variety and is best when nature dumps an obscene amnt of fresh powder on it.

Another one I liked but was at during shitty condition was Sunday River. Lots of trails. Both will see me coming back this season.

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Poconos are blah... not someplace I would go again if I had a choice.

Whiteface isn't bad especially in the morning before the crowds hit but seems to get icy later in the day like most everywhere in the east. I actually hiked up it this summer. Lake Placid is a fun place to hang out too, brewery is pretty good although like most things it was way more fun 10 years ago before it got really popular.

5. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I spent a lot time at Sugarloaf back in the day. It's a great mountain, but I'll regurgitate the sentiment of it getting icy. It's fast, yes, but hurts a fack of a lot more if you slip up. My hip and shoulder are thanking me for it.

6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I actually made it onto Bob Beatty's Ski World when he shot a piece about the Wobbly Barn (or maybe it was the Pickle Barrel:confused:). Needless to say, I was very tired from a day of skiing and VERY drunk!:D

I'm not sure if they still have it but the free bus/shuttle service up and down the access road was a life saver back in the day!:beer:

7. shaugdog

shaugdog Pimpalicious

Can always go to where I grew up and learned to ski. Hunter and/or Windham mtn. Should only be about 3 hrs away.

Edit, or if you're really poor, hit up Catamount. Should be real close. Good jumps on the MA side of the mtn back in the day.

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Bear Creek, PA

5 minutes from my driveway to the lift. Unfortunately, that is twice as long as the longest run there.