Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We ride a lot and while Ive worn pads out, Ive never worn out brakes. We run Shimano XT and Magura MT8 brakes, both are bulletproof.

PS....that time period is within the warranty period for Avid, Shimano, Hayes and Magura

2. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

That bike has some pretty low component specs. Sram 7 stuff is kinda weak. Did you check out bikesdirect? For the same money you can get a few 29er hardtails with XT or even XTR.

3. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I own an Airborne, and a couple of other MTB's, and I wouldn't call x7 weak. It certainly isn't a top shelf component, but it's far from Deore....

Please cite where you can find comparable XT or XTR outfitted bikes.

4. ThrottleAbuse

bikesdirect.com Like I said in my post.

5. Just got one of these (a demo) 2013 yeti sb95, 29er, xt components, fox suspension

going up to Cleveland this weekend to an indoor course
    [​IMG]

6. STT-Rider

Ya but look close and its like XTR 8 speed.........

7. STT-Rider

Id look for a 2012 or 2013 name brand closeout at JensonUSA or Pricepoint as well. Personally I would prefer SLX if I had to go budget..

Just went to PricePoint and they have the GT Zaskar 9R Elite Bike 2013 on sale for $1299. Shimano SLX/XT, Formula brakes...good fork and wheelset.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  8. Nice Bike!

Sounds like you're going to Ray's. I've never been there, but have heard great things about the place. Have fun. :up:

9. ThrottleAbuse

I didn't say I would buy one. :D They are all 10 spd setups. Quite a few of the smoking deals are always sold out or only one odd size left, but they do have good deals.

A last years blowout or clearance of a name brand would probably be better. I thought most of the bikesdirect bikes are 8-10 year old frame designs that are relabeled.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine taking my 29 to rays......

26 was hard enough

11. thanks!

challenge accepted! lol...i'll let you know how it goes :)

12. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

ThrottleAbuse: The BD bike has a triple, which I'm not enamored with, particularly for what I plan to use the bike for. It also seems BD has pretty shoddy customer service, with a lot of people spending a lot of time trying to get components damaged in shipping replaced, or getting bikes with entirely different components than what they ordered, etc. That's one thing that's certainly in Airborne's favor -- I've read nothing but good things about their customer service.

Monte: I'd actually found that one shortly after my first post. Performance Bike carries them as well at the same price, plus essentially 10% back through their Team Performance deal.

Hmmmmmm. Any other suggestions?

13. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Was that the medium they had up a month or so ago? Looked at that bike a dozen times but couldn't pull the trigger. Would up with a Trance X 29 which kinda kicks ass. Sweet ride though enjoy!

14. i called about it and it wasn't even put together yet...went to their shop to see it - two days later it was built and i picked it up...first ride this weekend should be fun!

but yes it was a medium - apparently i'm right on the limit for that size (5-11)

i'm 3/4" taller i doubt i'll notice, lol

15. novice201

Upgradeitis is a big problem in mountain bikes. Lets say he had Avid brakes (which I hate) and needed pads and a bleed. But a new set of XT's (which rock) are "only" about $120 per end, so rather than spend $30-40 bucks per on the lower end stuff, why not put that towards something better?
    I'm not saying its what went down, but I could easily justify such a transaction.;)

16. upgrade at every opportunity :)

17. novice201

Ah. I was looking at one on the Yeti site. They sell them direct every now and then.

Gawd the wait must be killing you! I couldn't buy something without throwing a leg over is why I hesitated.

18. yeah i rode a friends bike, it's the same only with all carbon frame (baddass)

so i knew what i was getting...little heavier but should be all i can handle :)

19. novice201

Yeah the 95c is dead sexy. Another reason I hesitated, thinking "if I get the 95 it'll be this much, but the 95c is only a (relative) tiny bit more..."
    That way lay madness!.

20. ThrottleAbuse

Keep looking on their site. They had some doubles. And some higher end SRAM builds.

Its hard to beat the used market. You can score some pretty high end bikes that are a couple years old for the money you are looking to spend. Ebay and cracklist.