1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best estimate of trade in value?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 7, 2013.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

which of the websites give you a value that is reasonably close to what a dealer will pay on trade in?

2. From what I know NADA values are based on what dealers pay for vehicles on average at auctions and it varies for geographical location. KBB values tend to be a little higher.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of ours in excellent condition usually hit the KBB "good" condition values.

4. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Most dealerships out here use NADA values for trade in value.
    Some use Kelley Bluebook Kelly link

:cool:

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

KBB was low for trade in but comparing it to a private party sale gave me a good idea of how much I could bargain with.

6. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Almost all dealers use the Black Book for determining actual acv. They have NADA laying around the store because that is what the public has access to. What do you have, year, model, miles, condition. I can tell you what they are bringing at auction. Also need the region you live in.

7. TEFLON434

TEFLON434 Well-Known Member

:stupid: If you send me the VIN I could give you an idea as well... As it has been said... most dealers will use the blackbook then add or subtract on how they're feeling that day so it can vary... I tell all my clients to go to Carmax so at least they have an idea of what to expect.

8. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Yep, no numbers games there if they are buying your vehicle.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's a bit trickier if you have a low volume car, say a Honda Fit :confused:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not really, that car is still in the black book based on what people are paying for it.

You might get more money if a dealer really wants that particular model. I forget which one it was but I got a couple grand more for one because the dealer had a customer looking for the model I was trading in. That's rare though.

Carmax is cool, usually pays a hair more than a dealer who will just auction something off. No hassles, no BS, we've sold them 3 or 4 rather than trade them. I do have to factor in the sales taxc saving tho the way GA does things as my trade value comes off the purchase price of the new vehicle before taxes are calculated. Not sure if all states are like that. Usually for us it works out to make it pretty close to what I could sell it for to a private party without all the hassle.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Taxifonia isn't that way, they get you every time it is sold. Illinois was like GA when I grew up, will have to ask my parents if it has changed?

12. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

We trade cars often and have gotten pretty good at it.

Carmax is always our first stop. That sets our baseline for expectations. In most cases we can get the dealer to beat that price, plus like GA in NC you save taxes by trading and purchasing at the same place.

Even if they match the Carmax offer you still save money with the tax differences.

The last trade was 3 weeks ago. I got rid of our Tahoe. Went to Carmax, the number was okay, which I expected since that vehicle is dime a dozen. I placed an ad in the autotrader and another dealer offered a price that was about $2K higher than carmax. Found the vehicle she wanted and I used that to our advantage. They met the two offers in the middle and then I focused on getting them down on the one we were buying.

Car buying can be frustrating at times but it's really not that bad if you do research and come up with a plan beforehand. Set yourself realistic expectations about price, deals people are obtaining in your region, be nice but upfront, and be prepared to walk away if you're not satisfied. If they let you go then most times it wasn't a deal they're willing to do.

Oh and I always obtain financing from our federal credit union at 1.5-2% depending on what they have that month beforehand. Many times the dealers have beat it. We always buy used vehicles with around 25K miles or less.

And don't forget the "throw in the all weather floormats and we have a deal" final touch! :)

13. TEFLON434

:stupid: THIS ^^^!!! :stupid:

Best way to do research & be realistic closest thing to a "deal" you'll ever have!!!

14. notbostrom

2T3DK4DV3BW040046 2011 Rav v6 Limited, leather, sunroof, power/heated seats jbl, 4x4 , every option except NAV. Wife had a fender bender in it. minor damage replaced bumper but will show on carfax

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

i would remove the vin from the site with the added details...it may hurt your case, if they google your vin.

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

When I was trying to sell my Rav4 last year, I couldn't find a single Toyota dealer that came even close to KBB or NADA listed trade in values, no matter what they claimed. They all used wholesale auction value, which i believe is Black Book. About 20% less than the others.

I think that may be a North East thing, for auto sales and pricing is very regional.

Private sale is a pain, but the only way to get your real value of a car for sale.

17. notbostrom

Thanks for the heads up.. it's a lease car so worst case it goes back to them in a couple months.. carfax already shows the little incident

18. TEFLON434

19. notbostrom

44k miles

20. TEFLON434

Can't upload pic properly, whats an email for ya.