1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading to Laguna this weekend, tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Flying into SFO and picking up an RV with a friend and headed to Monterey, with a booze stop on the way. But would really like to spend Fri or Sat night downtown Monterey for the hell of it. Drinks, dinner whatever comes my way.

2. caferace

caferace No.

Where is your RV going to be parked?

-jim

3. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Don't speed. If it's anything like the GP they'll be cops everywhere looking for revenue ... and that goes too of you ride in through the old military base on your bike from the highway to the track. I got a talkin to last time.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Every road in and around that track is public road.

5. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Hey Motoshire747,

If you try to get through @ out of Los Angeles heading North you should be good @ 2PM.

LAX is not downtown L.A. though.

If you are at LAX & are heading North you want to be on that 405 freeway in West Los Angeles just North of the 10 freeway no later than 2:45PM or you will be stuck in some miserable traffic. They call it the four o' five freeway for a reason: you are either doing 4 or 5 miles an hour while driving through there. When I split lanes on the 405 I do it between lanes #2 & #3 as with the road construction through West L.A. there is a K-wall separating North & Southbound traffic. Most drivers opt to stay a good 2 feet away from that wall on their left & end up straddling the white line on their right. So there is little room for a bike between lanes #1 & #2. The 101 North out of downtown L.A. loads up as well, but not really until 3:30PM.

If you are in downtown, get on the 101 freeway & head North.
    A stop in Santa Barbara for an earlier dinner sounds like a good plan.
    You have sunset out here around 7PM.
    Ride in the AM from Santa Barbara North up the 101 freeway until you get to San Luis Obispo.
    Then take highway 1 up through Morro Bay, San Simeon, Big Sur & Carmel.
    Takes you into Monterey.
    Nice ride, I have done it on 4 different bikes over the years & it is very cool.
    It can get pretty chilly near the coast through that stretch of highway 1 & may be in the 90's inland on the same day so bring appropriate riding gear.

There are a few turns you have to make once you get off the 101 to find highway 1 that are a little tricky but there are signs posted (small ones) & gas stations around if you miss it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  6. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

For breakfast it is simply not possible to beat The Breakfast Club, 1130 Fremont Blvd. in Seaside. From the Embassy Suites (credentials) go towards the track, turn left at Safeway and it's on the right tucked back in the corner next to Outdoor World.

Chorizo scrambled eggs. Yum.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was thinking just get out of town before 4pm - there is no waiting out traffic in LA that I've seen. Just some times slightly better than others.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It does if he gets stuck in rush hour crap :crackup:

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When riding up the coast, if you have time, stop at Hearst Castle. It is on highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway or PCH) and about 4 hours north of LA and 2.5 hours south of Monterey.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and even the teenagers like it. :) They have a few different tours....I think buying only one tour gives you a good enough overview on what William Randolph Hearst was able to put together.

10. Motoshire747

Motoshire747 Active Member

Thanks for the help guys...Flew from Toronto to LAX 10am to 1pm (local times). Shuttle to downtown hotel, dropped suit case off there for biz conference next week. Got on the bike around 3pm and escaped from LA.

It didn't take that long to get on Hwy#1. Jumped off on Mulholland Hwy/Decker Canyon not much run-off on those puppies, I thought Canadian tracks were bad! I can see how when the o'ady gets tried of you she gets some one to cut the break lines and it's all over...

Ended up in Carpinteria for the night. Might had south again before I go north. I need more of these little side jaunts...I'm only 4 hours from Monterey so I have time to play around.

So now I know what y'all been going on for years about this Canyon carving...

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

No way, you'll miss the sunset & view :up:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Nice!
    If you are in Carpeteria & are thinking of going up the 101 to Highway 1 you are about 7 hours away from Monterey. There is NO way you can make that trip in 4 hours as the road gets pretty damn twisty once you get closer to Big Sur. It is definitely fun around San Simeon (Hearst Castle) as it is a bit faster but still twisty. Make sure you stop for fuel in Morro Bay & top her off as you will be close to empty once you get to Big Sur & there are NO gas stations between Morro Bay & Big Sur.

Latigo Canyon which is off the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu was one of my favorites back in the day. That run from the beach up to Mulholland Highway was just a great ride. But I haven't ridden that canyon in well over a decade so I have no idea what condition the road is in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  13. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

We booked between T10-11 but other spaces have opened up. We will see when we roll in Fri morning.

14. Motoshire747

Motoshire747 Active Member

WOW! That was absolutely incredible! Just north of the Hearst Castle it gets real interesting. @linders - I will have to catch it next time through-when I have more time.

Ya know if word gets out about that road, ya might have an influx of people! How is #1 north to Santa Cruz and then on to San Fran, I assume I've seen the best? I went through Lompoc, it was good but nothing like Ocean side.

Also saw some hippies, I thought they were just in the movies :eek:

15. caferace

caferace No.

The roads between Santa Cruz and San Francisco (not Highway 1) are horrible. Awful, nasty things. Don't go there.

:D

-jim

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

fuckin cops.......