1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading to Laguna this weekend, tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Flying into San Jose, driving the 101. Say's 1:20. What's the reality of that on 2 pm traffic on a Thursday?

Staying in "The Salad Bowl of the World" which is about 20 minutes from the gate. True?

Planning on an In-n-Out Burger. What else? Look for real Mexican food and not that shit they serve here.

Does food at the track suck?

School me, beeb.

A side note, we if you know a OIF/OAF disabled vet that wants to assist us, PM me. We have 3 Marines with us, could use another vet as well.

Werd.

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

That's how I did it in 2005. I don't remember having much traffic issues. The drive is awesome.

3. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Pre-Party at El Torito on Fri the 27th at 8pm

After party TBA Sunday evening after the races!

4. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

A Pre-Party at El Torito on Fri the 27th at 8pm? You buying? ;)

5. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Don't wear nice shoes/ sneaked there's no grass in sight... Bring food and beer in if you can they have this hotdog on a roll for $9
    We stayed in San Jose for motogp and drive to and from both days was about 90 mins and not much traffic.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  6. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

They do grow a lot of vegetables around Salinas.

Gilroy considers itself "the garlic capital of the world" and Castroville "the artichoke center of the world".

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Take 17 to Santa Cruz and then drive 1 to Monterrey. Taco trucks are your friends.

8. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

You can make it from Salinas to the front gate in about 20 minutes. Getting from the front gate & to where you park your car will probably take a little longer than that.
    But given the long list of friends that bailed in the last week who were gonna camp with me I have a strong suspicion that there will be not many people spectating there this weekend. As of a month ago my campsite was uber full & now it looks to be a ghost town...

It gets cold on some nights out there & can get pretty foggy so be prepared for it all. Weather can change pretty quickly out there & drop 15 to 20 degrees in a half an hour. I usually bring a back pack & pack some cold weather stuff & some drinks/snacks in it & head out around the track. Food at the track is actually pretty good if the same vendors show up for WSB that do for MotoGP.

Instead of going back to Salinas each night, go into Monterey & hang out in Cannery Row. Much better food there, should be some bikes to look at & those seriously large crowds you see there for MotoGP should not be as bad so you shouldn't run into long waits to get served IMO.

9. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

No dice.

But ill shake your hand! And if you're lucky, get ya a pass for the after party!

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Bring water.

11. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

And alcohol, the good stuff if at all possible...
    :beer:

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

All I can think is that choosing an El Torito when in Monterey County as a place to eat has serious irony attached to it. :D

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

LOL....I'm sure Dave can clue you in on some good eats and beer places in the area.

When you take the 68, Salinas Hwy, towards Monterey, you can exit Fremont to the right, and there is an Italian place on the left within a mile. I think it is Caruso Corner, and it was good and reasonably priced. There were a bunch of other racers, when we went. Downtown Monterey will have all kinds of choices. There is a Denny's on Fremont too, if you are looking for inexpensive food.

Check out orbitz. I couldn't copy the long link, for a Thursday arrival and Sunday departure in Salinas for $59 a night and, Monterey Motel 6 for $79, Roadway Inn in Monterey for $90, Econo Lodge in Monterey for $94.

Monterey is way more convenient vs. Salinas. When I bring bikes, I won't stay in Salinas, as there is pretty high theft rate in that city.

14. Motoshire747

Motoshire747 Active Member

I'm flying in to LAX tomorrow. I have a bike lined up and will be riding to the track, I need to be there around 2pm on Friday.

I should be on the bike in downtown LA around 2pm tomorrow. Any suggested routes out of the city? And routes in general to Laguna? It's my first time, I would love some suggestions...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

At 2pm? As straight and fast as possible!

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Go up Hwy 1. I think you'll take 101 and catch 1 around Morro Bay. Take Hwy 154 detour around Santa Barbara and swing by Cold Springs Tavern. Continue up Hwy 1 to Monterey. Don't mess this up.... do it!

17. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

During the MotoGP event my wife and I were looking for a breakfast spot between Monterey and the track that didn't have a wait. We decided to go to the Del Monte Cafe in Seaside and weren't disappointed. Small family run place with excellent food. We'll definitely go back next year.

1642 Delmonte Blvd
    Seaside, CA 93955

18. Motoshire747

Motoshire747 Active Member

Yeah...wondered about that. I could just wait it out...er but how long? til 8pm?

19. caferace

caferace No.

It doesn't take 48 hours to get from LA to Monterey. :D

-jim

20. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

While at the track, get a 'Frog Dog'...if they still sell 'em.