Stupid bike stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Sep 14, 2013.

1. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

I went to put my bike up on the centerstand once, and the combination of wet pavement and greasy boot sole (from working in a restaurant kitchen) and my haste resulted in my boot slipping off the stand, then bike slowly tipping away from me over on it's side. I had to kill all the witnesses. Fortunately, I do not think there were any.

2. Nope. But I have walked away from a bike while it was standing there and almost dropped it. I really don't even know what I was thinking, or what grabbed my attention or what caused it. But I had just got off the track on the 675. Got into the pits. Didn't have the stands on it, obviously it doesn't have a kickstand....and I just fucking started walking away from it as if it was going to stand there on its own while I went inside. :crackup:

When it started to fall over I was like "oh shit" and grabbed it real quick.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Bout 20 years ago, 2nd bike I ever bought, CB550. Bought it at night (dumb) after not having test riding it earlier (dumber) due to a dead battery. Seller was about 2 miles from my house, and at the time I was not nearly as mechanically inclined as I am now. While getting onto a main artery I noticed the thing showed way down when I grabbed the clutch. Seemed weird enough that I decided to take back roads. Promptly lost the front in the first corner as I hit some gravel, and you guessed it - the front brake was locked up. Best part was my dumb ass was in shorts, and as I hurriedly tried to pick it up and soldier on, like 3 people came out of their house and gave me the "Hey you okay man?". Girlfriend at the time was less then impressed with all the roadrash on my left calf. :eek:

4. conner98

conner98 Well-Known Member

I parked an 85 vf1000r along side my room mates vfr750.Parking lot full of girlies on a Friday night at the Burger King.Trying to look all cool,and stuff.
    Side stand sinks in new asphalt,bike falls into the back off my legs,and plants me.I was soo pissed off/embarrassed.Immediately got to my feet,and kept walking inside.I refused to even acknowledge the bike.My muscle headed room mate picked it up for me all by himself.
    I went into the ladies bathroom crying,and changed my tampoon.:eek:

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Didn't happen to me but my friend and I were on a ride when we came to a stop light. He forgot to take his feet off the pegs that much too late. :D

6. I have done that a few times. :crackup: But luckily never fell because of it.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nice bike, but you better be a musclehead to pick that bike up.

8. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

now that's funny :crackup:

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Used to ride with a group here. Pulled into the parking lot one evening, 10-15 bike already there. I come in hot, and do a little stoppie, not thinking about the fact that the parking lot is on a bit of an downhill angle to my right. By the time I got my feet to the ground, it was too late to catch the bike. So instead I just jumped way from it. Smoooth moves.

Same group while backing the bike away from a curb, pant leg gets hooked on a footpeg. On its side again.

10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

This made me laugh out loud.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The winds get crazy in the IE down the 15. I stopped in norco to gas up and a as I was going to get back on the freeway a gust of wind knocked me clean off my bike while I was stopped at the light. That was embarrassing...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Bike drops in chronological order, here are the ones that I remember:

GS850 dumped in front yard to avoid running over my grandmother who walked out in front of me. I had to lay 'er down (actually my feet were dragging the ground and I was going downhill in the wet grass when she walked out in front of me, it was either grab some front brake or hit grandma).

GS850 dropped in front of (then girlfriend, now wife's) parents house as she jumped up and started climbing off before we stopped.

Planted the ST1100 in the shrubs when I tried to weave my way into the garage around a vehicle parked in front of it. Front tire dropped off the edge of the driveway and steered me right into the shrubbery.

Dropped the ST on a chow that attacked me at a stop sign, I was in the middle of a bunch of cars with no where to go. Missed but the dog ran away so mission accomplished.

Dropped the ST at an intersection in downtown Atlanta. Stopped at a light and put my foot down right in the middle of a puddle of antifreeze.

Dropped the ST in the paddock at Road Atlanta just to see the expression on everyone's face. Bike is built for falling over, it has bumpers and such in just the right places. Good thing, too. :D

13. I have always thought about doing that just for the entertainment value. :D

Have sliders and other shit on the bike where it can't get hurt if it falls over. Then come off the track and just be like "this piece of shit!" and kick it over and walk off. ;)

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Earl did that with his YSR at Road Atlanta once, came rolling back to the pit and just let it go off into the kudzu (vintage pits).

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I was just finishing a long day on my 999 and had ridden well over 50 miles without putting a foot down. I needed gas so I pulled into a gas station. When I went to pull my foot off the footpegs I was so cramped up that I couldn't get them off. I promptly fell over right in a busy gas station. I was so embarrassed that I jumped up and picked the bike right up. I luckily knew I was going to fall so I used my body as a cushion and didn't do any damage. I sold it shortly thereafter and moved to the S4RS. Same motor, different riding position.

I also dropped my BMW R1100RT in my garage when the grip slipped out of my sweaty hand. Luckily it fell on my FZR400! No real damage to either except one small scratch on the beemer. Talk about a fat guy pinning down a little guy! That was a tough one to pick up by myself!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

long story not so short- probably 2001?, was riding my R6 to work from marietta ATL to downtown. two lanes turning left, I pull into the far left one, hit a bit of antifreeze in the lane and down she goes, maybe 5 mph. just missed the edge of a dump truck next to me on the right side. Frames sliders and leg did their job and really no damage. The dumptruck driver jumped out and helped me pick up bike. start it, rev it up a few times to check it out, light turns green so I get on it to see if anything is out of whack before I get on 75 south. got on freeway, move over to far left lane. start my slow commute to work. within a mile or two see a police car get on freeway with lights on. he pulls into far left lane behind me. I pull over to next lane to let him by, he seemed to be in a hurry. he pulls over behind me again. I move over, he moves over, etc. Finally roll off into the shoulder on the right, now there are about 5 cobb country police cars (maybe a GSP for good measure?), one pulled cross ways in front of me, one on my left blocking lanes of I-75, two behind me and one on my right. Hmmmmm... this doesn't look good. bike off, hands up, helmet off, get off bike, adrenaline pumping...

turns out someone saw the tail end of my "accident" and thought I had hit and run the dump truck, and sped off to the freeway. At least that's what the a-hole report to the police. They assumed I was on a stolen bike otherwise why would I run away from an "accident". The person missed the whole 'driver got out to help me pick up my bike' part.

anyway after a bit of a discussion and checking paperwork (and showing them my scratched up levers and the fact that the DRIVER of the vehicle in question had not reported anything) I was free to go on my way. Needless to say the co-worker who saw me on the side of the freeway was entertained by the whole squad of cars and me on the side of 75 in rush hour traffic. probably backed things up for miles and miles at that point. thanks cobb county!!! :)

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

oh yeah and threw my hawk down one night exiting the vortex on cold michelin race tires. luckily it was about 35 degrees out, so no one was outside, just my riding buddies behind me in the parking lot. Right Lee??? :)

no throttle, just slowly pulling out, and there she went. was left just standing there watching her slide across the lanes. nice.

18. Karl_L

Karl_L Well-Known Member

I had gotten into a bad habit of putting my R1150GS up on the center stand without getting off the bike first. Pulled into a spot by a gas station and tried it but the lot sloped a little to the right. It started going over just as my friend was parking his FJR on my right side. He had his engine running & his clutch in, & I screamed at him to keep moving but he sat there & watched my bike fall on his & they both fell over. The worst part was the scrawny teenager working the station asking if we needed help. At least he's about 400 miles away. But that was 3 years ago & my friend still makes a point of parking uphill from me.

My other centerstand story was when I bought the GS. It was my first bike with a centerstand. The dealership parked the bike on the centerstand & it was the end of the day so by the time I was geared up most everyone was gone. I climbed on & pushed but the damn thing wouldn't move off the stand. I pushed like a maniac for 5 minutes but nothing. I finally figured it out. The MSF training had taught me to grab the front brake when I got aboard so that had become a habit. I had been holding that brake the whole time.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

several years ago, out riding with a friend one saturday we see some girls in a saab convertible, with the top down. so we pull up to a stop light next to them and my buddy goes to put his foot down and his boot lace gets caught on the peg. he nearly ended up falling into the front seat of the car. pinned to the door by the bike. of course i was just a foot away in the same lane next to him watching all of this. without a doubt one of the funniest things i have ever seen on a motorcycle.

iv put my foot on the shifter thinking it was the brake with the bike iding after starting it. the down side to have brit and japanese street bikes.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A testament to that torture rack of a bike:crackup: