1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scuba

Discussion in 'General' started by jase, Aug 25, 2013.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I got certified and spent two weeks diving in Corsica in 1989, but I didn't continue.

2. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

When I first started diving I let someone else replace my air tank between dives. They were a very competent dive master and I assumed that they did everything correctly. I took test breaths on the surface and everything worked fine until I got to about 75 feet when my regulator stopped working. I grabbed my dive buddy and told him what was going on with signals. We went to the dive master and he flipped me around real quick and proceeded to open my tank valve all the way. Apparently it was only open enough to supply air till the pressure increased and then it stopped flowing properly. This was totally my fault for not checking my gear but the key is I did not panic. Had I panicked and swam for the surface I would have risked the bends and could have done some damage. I am not sure my wife would have the wherewithal to keep her wits about her in that situation especially in an environment she is "uncomfortable" with in the first place. BTW I always check and double check my gear before entering the water. Lesson learned![/QUOTE]

Ha...had the same thing happen in Honduras. Boat capt. did mine and gave me the quarter turn. "ran out" of air at 50 feet. Felt like a hack for trusting someone else with my life. Weird thing was looking at the regulator - says I have air. Take a half hit and watch it sink to zero only to slowly re-build. by the time I got to the Divemaster I was abrely taking very baby breaths.:Poke:

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I've had deckhands on dive boats "forget" to strap my BC to the tank. My policy now is that, if they absolutely "have" to help, they can remove my gear from the old tank, and move it to the new tank, but I do all of the setting up from there. And I don't use rental gear anymore - I take my own BC, regulator, computer and mask. Too many issues with rental gear.

A lot of those small Caribbean places, including the beachside/dockside shops in Roatan don't even rinse out the gear. They just hang it to dry outside and wait for the next customer.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Certified Padi in 1979, since then I've done some assist teaching, SSI divemaster, tech/wreck and Extended range cert, search and rescue cert, dove with the local Sheriff for body recovery and evidence collection. Haven't dove in awhile, been itching to get back in the water. Maybe go spear some halibut in Tomales Bay. I love diving in a kelp forest on a clear day.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Earned a PADI certification in 1975 while in college. My cert pic reflects the time and my age then, complete with shoulder length hair.

Unfortunately, haven't been on a dive since 1981.

6. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

I was spoiled also. Got my PADI open water cert while stationed at Guam. Mostly coral reef around the island. Typically, weather permitting, 100 ft visibility in blue waters. Sea life is spectacular and many wreck dives to see (ships, planes and more .50 cal casings spent and unspent than you care to carry) as Guam was a refueling station during WWII. Was working on my Rescue and Wreck diver certs before being pulled for first deployment to the middle-east.

Good times :up:

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was stationed with a guy that was on Guam for a year.

He came back to the states with a Guam native wife and an addiction to betel.

8. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Question for ChaOs #242 how is the best way to visit Cuba? Definitely on the bucket list. As for diving I live in the mtns of E Tn and diving is how I make my money.

9. Rx3

Rx3 1%

I'm NAUI certified, used to dive regularly but not nearly as much now that I started racing motorcycles.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a Canadian passport, so it's easy for me. Sorry I can't help my American friends visit this beautiful country.

11. Lawn Dart

Recreational diving, or like commercial/industrial diving?

12. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Fly from the US to Canada or Mexico then go to Cuba. It's pretty easy these days. They just give you a paper visa instead of stamping your passport.

And I'm hoping to do some diving in Bimini next weekend :cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Commercial diving, dry suit and full face mask at this point. The full face mask is excellent once you get used to it. In the water tomorrow.

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Local lobster recently caught

Attached Files:

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I had no idea lobsters got that big. :wow:

16. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

cool thread! got SSI certified in 2011 in preparation for trip to Indonesia. Spent a few weeks in Bali diving Tulamben and a few other spots. Hit Cozumel a few times last year and went to Belize this year, Blue Hole, Lighthouse Reef etc. Heading to Thailand and the Philippines for 3 weeks in December to dive with Whale Sharks. There's a quarry set up for diving about an hour away, I try to go there and just practice the basics whenever I can.

I'm not a natural diver per say, some of my dive buddies are like fish- thats not me. Equalizing takes me a loooong time even with sudafed and all the other tricks. I'll start equalizing the week before my trip just to get my ears ready. I've never been a good swimmer either but seem to do fine under the water. When diving I do everything slow and steady eddy, very very cautious. The drift diving in Cozumel was nice because you could just hang out and float. In Belize my rental reg failed at 70ft so that was a lesson learned. Afterwards I bought all my own gear and will never ever dive with rental crap again.

Diving is cool, I wanted a hobby not motorcycle related and diving fits the bill nicely. Plus, diving gives me another excuse for awesome vacations.

Mike

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

It is such a hassle taking your own gear though!
    but I have always done it...have heard enough ass puckering horror stories about rental gear.

18. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

yeah.. it really is a hassle sometimes. It's the only way I'll dive though. I'm a newbie and need the peace of mind. :)

Mike

19. Lawn Dart

I carry on my reg, computer and mask. Everything else goes in a suitcase and checked. I have an awesome dive bag, but can't use it any more due to TSA and airline policies. Safer in unmarked bag too, instead of one that screams "steal me! I'm dive gear!"

Cruise ships are really the one time it's a PITA to take scuba stuff. They really need to work on catering better to divers. They're really missing some business because of it.

20. Lawn Dart

How does one get into that type of work? And is it good work? I have to assume the money is good.