1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 Spa

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So, are they not allowed to change brakes during the race?

Also - the pit stops are truly flat out amazing but too quick.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Seriously? You had to start another thread? :Poke:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where's the other one?

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just below. But having just read it, there's apparently only one corner on that whole damn track. Who knew? So you're probably better off here after all.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha - totally forgot about that thread. I need a nap.

6. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

I'm sure they are allowed to change brakes...but what's the point? After the 20 minutes it would take, he's be 10 laps down and even the bottom tier teams finish. No points after 10th place, plus they can change other components without penalty, i.e. gearbox, engine etc.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Allowed, I would think so. But there's no point doing that. It's not NASCAR: there's no points for last place. :D

They made a compromise in the set up with the expected rain. Didn't work out for them.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What I don't understand with F1 is why they don't let the teams sell or lease last year's car to other teams. Yeah, technology leak and all that B.S. but I don't buy that excuse.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can't even do that if you own the damn cars. Toro Rosso can't use the old Red Bull cars.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He pulled in P2 - how far back was 10th? I figured being F1 they would have prepared for the rare possibility and have brakes set for quick change like endurance racers do.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Exactly! You could drive the costs down in F1 by doing it. I guess I'm not smart enough to understand Bernie and the FIA.

I saw that Bernie pulled the plug on the Joisey race.

12. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

re: pit stop speed

it is very likely they will have minimum allowed time for a pitstop to avoid mishaps like the one that injured the cameraman last month when Webbers rear wheel was not secured. I have to say that the qualifying sessions were more exciting than the race. Q3 was the most exciting Quali I have ever seen...

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was submitted to the teams and they rejected it a few weeks ago.

14. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

it will come back around- ultimately it is not up to the teams to decide

15. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

:wow: I have always liked the practice and qualifying more....They always look (to me anyway) like they are pushing way harder in qual. than the race. And I could watch almost the entire event with on board, especially in the rain.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think that any rule changes made on the fly have to be approved by the teams.

17. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

The rain really added to the drama of the quali. They should include rain in the race as well to make it more interesting.

Seriously though, you'd have to think they could come up with a quick change brake system that could be done in a couple of seconds. Maybe it is just that it happens so rarely that it doesn't warrant the development. I can't remember the last time it happened in a race.