Any Stihl Dealers here

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Aug 22, 2013.

1. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I'm going to break down and buy something to cut brush with at the new place along the fence rows.

I'm looking at an FS90 or an FS110. I can't decide if I need the loop handle or the bicycle handles.

I will be putting a brush blade on it but would eventually like to get the edger and the pole saw for it too.

Suggestions or recommendations?

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have a 110 with bicycle handles. Hoop is nicer for regular trimming, bicycle handles are a must for heavy duty shit.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Cut it with scissors pussy...:Poke::D

4. BrianC636

Kiss it.

- Metalhead

I could most of it it's those damn saplings that piss me off.

5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I have the 110 for brush. I bought a 10" Freud chop saw blade at Lowe's and bolted it on. Works like a charm.

6. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I believe Stihl will tell you that you need the bicycle handles to use a metal brush cutting blade.

7. BrianC636

I spent an hour talking to one of the local dealers.

For them to install the blade, yes you have to have bicycle handles. However he did tell me that they stock all the parts so I can put it on at home.

8. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

There's a reason why they won't install the blade on a hoop handle, it's not safe. I grew up cutting brush with the bicycle handles and would NEVER trust myself using a hoop handle when cutting brush, way too risky and dangerous. As mentioned, the two-hand leverage of the bicycle handles is a must for heavy stuff.

9. BrianC636

I grew up the same way. To be honest, I don't have a ton of brush to clear. Most if it is just a little too big for my string trimmer and there are too many unexposed rocks for me to use my grasshopper to clear with.

I'll get the stuff cut down once and will never have to do it again hopefully.

10. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

Brush that doesn't grow back?!? What's your secret?

11. BrianC636

Mow it....

I mow almost 12 acres already. Once it's cleaned up, I'll pick up all the rocks and dead limbs and mow around it all. The trees will eventually get landscaped around.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have 4-blade metal weed-cutting blades I use on my loop handle Stihl trimmers. They work fine.

Almost never use them now, that I have Stihl 0.95 mm X-line string. Stuff cuts & holds up great. Especially easier cutting near rocks.

13. Once a Wanker..

Checked today, & mistaken. Using 0.105mm X-line. Tough stuff!

14. BrianC636

oooooo....me likey.

The guy at the dealership said .095 was as big as it would fit but I like hearing I can go bigger.

What model do you have currently?

Thanks!

15. Once a Wanker..

I have an old '92 FS 76, & a newer FS110r.

It doesn't always auto-feed, but it holds up so well it's worth the occasional pause to check or manually advance it.

Only the nastiest of weeds or trees are left uncut at the base, but well mangled & de-nudded. The nice part is I don't have to be careful in rocks, like I do with a metal blade.

16. Once a Wanker..

Btw, they're at separate houses, in different states. I use them both equally, with the 0.105 inch (2.7mm) X-line. Had to order it last time I was out.

Sold in 1lb. reel, 230' I think the Stihl part # is 0000 930 3403. It's on the reel, anyway. Fluorescent green.

17. BrianC636

Thanks! I think I'm going to spring for the 110 since I'd like to have the pole saw attachment later. Do you use the harness at all with yours?

18. Once a Wanker..

No. A guy who helps me once in a while does, so I keep it wrapped around the shaft. I like the 'freedom of movement' I get without the strap. I have some steep banks at one property.