1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So frustrated with google! arrgghhh

Discussion in 'General' started by iceman017, Aug 6, 2013.

1. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

Maybe the all-knowing bbs can help... I'm simply trying to create a basic online list page that is publicly editable. According to the google "sites" help, I should be able to do this, but I have wasted an absurd amount of time trying to figure this out.

What I want is to create a very basic page with a publicly editable list so that people coming to a party I'm planning can sign up to bring certain things (food, supplies, entertainment, etc.). What I made so far is a main page with info about the party, and a few subpages. On each subpage, I added what I thought was an editable list of stuff, with a couple extra columns where people could sign up to bring that item and add details if needed. It seems I can't make this publicly editable... This kinda thing has to be possible - but it's beyond me. Help!

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why not send google an email asking for help?

3. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a Google doc spreadsheet that you share with your friends? You can give them read/write permission.

4. caferace

caferace No.

:stupid:

We've been doing that with the family reunion for years. Easy-Peasy.

http://docs.google.com

-jim

5. iceman017

I can, I suppose. But I'm trying to avoid having to contact everyone to get their email addresses, then "invite" everyone to the site. I have physical addresses but only about half of 100 guests' emails. I'd rather just put the web address on the invite and let it be publicly editable than try to make 40-50 more phone calls to get email addys for everyone... When I try to ask a question in google sites help, it just spews out a list of possible answers, instead of sending my question to a real person. I've wasted SO much time and it's pissin me off. This should be easy... maybe I'm just a moron!

6. caferace

caferace No.

7. iceman017

evite appears to not be able to do what I want... plus once again, I need to collect about 40 more emails to use evite. So, evite's out. :Poke:

8. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

If you don't have their email address to either invite them to a Google Doc or Evite how are you going to inform them of this online list for them to go and edit?

-steve

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Snail mail with the website on it...

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

hahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahaha hahaha hahhahahahahahaha

:FL:

Know how I know you've never tried to find technical support on a customer-facing Google product?

11. Ryan636

Ryan636 Well-Known Member

Not sure if sarchasm.

12. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

on the web + publicly editable = shitstorm

It will take about 7 seconds for nefarious web spiders to find your page, then you'll get lots on 'interesting' edits. Google won't help you do it because it would be like leaving a pile of boards and a loaded nail gun in the Walmart parking lot and expecting something useful to be built.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Cynicism is more apt.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That's the point of my statement. :D

15. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Wait - you are hosting a party and making people bring shit? ...tacky... :P

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, fo real. People aren't allowed to bring stuff to my parties. Not like they get in trouble if they do, but I discourage it. If I'm having a party, I feel its my duty to food and drink you. Beers, liquors, wines and a shit ton of food.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all never heard of a potluck dinner huh?

18. eggfooyoung

Absolutely. They're for tacky people.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20. eggfooyoung

Pfft. Hick.