1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym Membership Racket

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Ryan636

Ryan636 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. :crackup:

I can't stand the people that stand around and bullshit in the gym. It isnt a social gathering. I dont want you to talk to me. I dont care how your day is going or what you had for lunch. I have already taken all of my pre-workout stuff, im pumped up, my iPod is in and im ready to do work.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You and I are gonna have a talk next time I see you.

A long talk.

I ain't gonna shut up.

I'm talking hours and hours...

:D

Think I'll bring metalhead with me.

4. LudjakR1

LudjakR1 Well-Known Member

Do you even lift bro?

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was gona hang around his pit asking questions...lol. Maybe even buzz by on my scooter like 50 times. :D

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

51 times....that would really mess with him!

I go to a crossfit gym twice a week and workout at 24 fitness the other 5. If i cant make it to either, I work out at my house. I find it dangerous to lift without a spot though.

my crossfit is free (my friend owns it) and my 24 fitness membership is 52 bucks a year.

cons for both:

Crossfit: they really need to teach proper form instead of speed for a lot of the exercises...speed is further emphasized by most of the wods. I go there to work on my olympic lifts and some strongman workouts. I also do hate the cultist attitude that some of these guys have.
    What I have noticed with crossfit is that it takes guys a lot longer than girls to show noticeable transformation with crossfit only.

24 fitness: people leaving weights around, doing olympic lifts without bumper plates. and the socializing..and the trainers suck. I start laughing a lot at these trainers.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

The box I go to is big on form. The owner is also my coach, and he won't let me use heavy weights until I reliably demonstrate good form. Its still kicking my ass, but I think its part of the reason why I don't see visible results.

This became very apparent the first few weeks. Girls are doing hang power cleans with 100 lbs or more, and I'm in the back sweatin' my ass off with only the bar. :D

In fact, a lot of the complaints people have about Crossfit gyms don't apply to this place. No contracts - he said, "if you want to be here, we want you here. If you don't, then we don't want you." They're big on form, and real people go to this place. They're not all cultish and elitist about it. Very friendly and help motivate each other... And no one laughs at me (except me) when I have to do handstand pushups with a box instead of upside down on the wall. LOL

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

My local Crossfit is exactly like Nazif describes. I did a Boot Camp I bought on Groupon nothing about those 6 weeks really made me want to come back for more.

9. No problem :up:...just don't come to my gym. :D

...or sit beside me on the airplane.
    ...or serve my food.
    ...or cut my hair.
    ...or come by my pit within 10min of me going on track.

Eh, just leave me alone. :crackup:

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

God damn. You must be an absolute peach to live with. I read things about your girl, you rv, your dog, your cans of WD-40. One thing I've never heard you talk about, is your friends. Hmmmm....

11. :crackup:

I honestly don't mind it at the track. Lora gets tired of me talking about bikes/riding all the time, so it gives me a reason/opportunity to talk about bikes/riding more.

But I am usually not even in my pit, im usually wandering around the paddock talking to everybody and looking at all the bikes. I am like a kid in a candy store. :D

At the track, or the beeb and stuff like that it doesn't bother me. I go to places like that wanting to talk to people because of our common interest.

I just don't like it when there is "forced interaction" and people feel as if we have to talk. Like standing in line at the store, sitting beside me on the plane, as I get my haircut, etc. I didn't come there to talk to you and I don't know you. I had to be there and you just so happened to be beside me. Leave me alone. I don't know why some people cant sit in silence; almost as if they have to fill the void of silence by talking.

12. Oh shit. :crackup:

I don't have any leftover friends from school. I had like 7 stepdads and moved a few times. Then as soon as I got out of college in TN, I moved to MS. I lived there for like 5 years or so, then moved back to TN except on the other end of it. And I work overseas with people from other countries, so I don't work with anybody from around the house either.

All of my friends are racers. I don't have any friends outside of the paddock and have never made an effort to have any. I don't even know my next door neighbors. I have friends that I go hang out with, play golf with etc...but they are also racers.

I honestly don't know the name of a single dude (personally) who isn't in the motorcycle industry, aside from family. And I avoid interaction with the majority of them also, which is a long story.

I have zero tolerance for bullshit or drama. I say what is on my mind, always. And I normally say it exactly how it came to me (no brain-mouth filter). A lot of people don't like that. Just about every friend I have, initially thought I was an asshole until they got to know me. You will always know where I stand and what I think. So im one of those kind of people that you can take me for what I am, or you can leave. But the ones that are my friends know I would give them the shirt off my back and I would never do them wrong.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  13. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Sounds like the best man at my wedding. Lives alone, rarely has a GF, has his friends from work(career bartender), and me. Hates people, unless they are his friends. Goes to work to do his job, and does it to the T and better than anyone else locally, but has no desire to make friends doing it or chit chat.

He'd do anything and everything for any of his friends though, my wife, and my dog. He hates animals and children more than people, but is always there for my dog when we travel, no questions asked. Been my best friend through some tough and serious crap and just like you said, most people think he's a jerk cuz he tells it how he feels and sees it, but he is the best friend I could ever ask for.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I still remember one girl at the college gym when I was there. DAMUM! :wow:

15. Chip

Chip Registered

2 years down the road....my goal everyday......be the best girl. :( :D

16. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

17. Pretty much describes me to the letter. Except for the part about animals. I love animals. I have 10x more compassion for dogs than I do people. I will go out of my way to talk to a strange dog....people, not so much. :D

I am the same way at my job. I am here to get the job done, not make friends. It doesn't matter if you like me or not; my job is not to make you like me...my job is to make sure we can properly control and negotiate this oil well if things go wrong. And I am one of the best in the world at my job.

I don't go out of my way to be an asshole; I just say things how they are. But the guys that work for me like it because there is no drama, no backstabbing and no grudges. They know if they aren't doing worth a shit, I will tell them "you aren't doing worth a shit" directly to their face, instead of letting them walk out and being like "that guy isn't doing worth a shit". They know if there is an argument, we say what we have to say and it is done. 10min later we are drinking coffee and talking about something else. No bullshit drama.

18. I bought a big Smith Machine and weights for the house. Took me and my dad hours to put it all together. I normally don't like working out at home because there are too many distractions. At the gym, I KNOW I will have 1.5-2hrs dedicated to working out with no distractions.

But when I had that crash in my very first track day in '07, I was messed up pretty bad (still my worst crash to date, injury wise). When I was ready to start working out again, I had major atrophy in my left arm/shoulder. BUT...I had been lifting weights with some good supplements for like 6-7 years. So even though my left arm/shoulder were junk, I still weighed about 240lbs.

I used to warm up with a plate on each side. I knew I would be weaker, so I was like "ill start with a 25 on each side". I couldn't budge it. Then I was like "WTF, ok...ill start with a 10 on each side". Couldn't budge it.

After that, I was like there is no way im coming in this big ass gym, weighing 240lbs, and struggling to bench press the bar. :crackup So I got a home gym to help me get my strength back.

19. For the record, any of you are welcome to hang out at the track anytime. Many of you already know that. It doesnt bother me at all. There have been many times when i have walked in the TH and couldnt sit down because of all the people in there. It doesnt matter to me, i will sit in the floor. I enjoy the company.

I normally only drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, but i bought a huge 14-cup coffee pot and always make a bunch in case somebody else wants some in the morning. I always bring enough snacks and drinks to account for about 10 people.

The paddock is like a big family. That is completely different than the guy trying to talk my ear off while im trying to sleep on the plane. :D